Bigger Spark plug fitted.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for letting us know.
It's what I'd do as well. If the car is otherwise worth keeping then I'd repair it at a time to suit me. When I'd got the time, and the weather. Even if you're inside a garage it's a lot more pleasant working when it's warmer and drier!
The options are (and it depends to some extent what the twonk who put the bigger plug in there has butchered to get it in) an "insert" either of the conventional or helicoil type, or a replacement head.
The head will have to come off anyway whichever way you go.

Forced in :eek:
Can you post a pic for us?
John :)
I thought you'd have seen hammer fit sparkplugs before John! o_O :D
Seriously though, what has been done? And what a PIA for the OP to have to sort it out!
The worst I've ever heard of was a car sold after WWII with hardwood pistons. Apparently it managed quite a few miles before they failed, bit smoky though I'd ha' thought! :eek:

I must say I've never come across an oversize plug or hardwood pistons :eek:
but I've seen all sorts of rubbish inserted into sump plug holes!
I've helicoiled before, but have only reinstated the same size threaded insert, so I'm very interested in this one. It's probably best to leave well alone, but if the car was mine, it would always be on my mind that it would fail sometime.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I'd guess it depends on how the "repair" was achieved. I think I'd be looking for a head.
I expect it'll go on for a long time, but there's no way of knowing that. Like you John, it'd be in my mind that it will fail at some time.
If I was keeping the motor, I'd be looking at a bit of "elective surgery".

I cannot get a picture that will show it properly. It looks just fine from the angles I can take a pic from. The sump isn't really visible. It's only when you get the right size plug in there that you realize that it's a bigger plug that is inside. We did manage to get a 21mm socket, with fairly thin walls, but we still needed to shave it back. And once we did that it just wasn't strong enough to get a tight grip around the plug. The options were to try to pull the plug out using a thin fingered vice grip or to just leave it for now. It's working and that is the main thing. But it is on my mind that it could fail. I have no idea how many miles this plug has done. There are about 120k on the car. It passed the Car text anyway!! So that is something! I was going to sell it this year, but I'd hate to sell it to someone if the plug is gonna fail? And if I tell them about it they'd probably run a mile, even though the car is very smooth now. :)

Back