Bit more help on my roof...please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone.

You've all been really helpful on my roof in the past, only there's just one last thing I need a bit of help with, please.

As you can see from my pictures. We went from old, leaky felt to breathable felt and the tiles re fitted and replaced where necessary.

The guys were helpful and did a lot of work.

The only trouble is that there is an area where the felt, and the timber at the ridge is wet - as you can see in the newer pictures.

It doesn't...as far a I have been able to tell...happen unless it's very cold outside.

Its is around 0.5m from next door. We're in a terrace, but the roof is slightly raised against next door's roof line on that side as each house differs a little and the road curves round.

Is this a condensation problem? Or, as the guy who put new beams in the loft and floored it, could there be a problem with the ridge?

The guys who did the job removed six vented tiles, but didn't replace them owing to the felt being breathable.

The water never drips off the timbers and, like I said after strong rainfall it only ever seems to have a touch of coldness.

You've really helped me in the past, and if you could see your way clear to having a look again, please, you would be really kind.

I will happily admit to not being very up on these things, but the help I received before has stood me in good stead.

Thanks

Niven

Sponsored Links
Some breathable membrane products are not as all singing and dancing as people think and are not, on their own, a magical panacea for all problems regards water vapour and condensation.

There also needs to be a robust vapour barrier in the form of say foil backed plasterboard whilst taking care of loft hatch seals etc.

Homes that have been extended whereby the extended bit has breathable membrane whilst the existing bit does not and there is access for the passage of air from one to the other, then there needs to be additional ventilation fitted to the new roof even though it has breathable membrane.

Sponsored Links
Homes that have been extended whereby the extended bit has breathable membrane whilst the existing bit does not and there is access for the passage of air from one to the other, then there needs to be additional ventilation fitted to the new roof even though it has breathable membrane.

Good point!

That's helpful on all counts. Thanks

I'll ask the guy to come back.

Cheers

Niv

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back