Bit of context?

Sponsored Links
Greedy, grasping, selfish, ignorant.

Just about sums up the ill educated masses of the UK.

I would rather boil my testicles in hot oil than take part in any Black Friday bollax.

The meek will inherit the earth.

My daughter was determined to buy one of those tellies they were all fighting about on friday.
She got herself up, took herself off to the asda in Aintree arriving at quarter to seven (sale started at eight).
She said there were about forty people in front of her and when the sale started they let them in ten at a time.
According to her everyone queued in an orderly fashion and assistants told people behind her in the queue that if they were after a telly they probably wouldn't get one, a lot of these people left though the queue was packed by eight o clock apparently.
Anyway she managed to buy her telly no problem and still got home and got the kids to school on time.
She was lucky I suppose but contrast her experience in much maligned Liverpool with all those people near killing each other in other parts of the country, Manchester springs to mind. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I'm not into shopping and don't watch television, and I thought that the references to "Black Friday" were foreboding comments of another financial crash, until I heard the news during Friday.

Personally, I'd have gone for the tea-bags, but it was a great example of greed gone mad.

Sooey - glad your daughter got involved with a sensibly managed purchase.

My daughter was determined to buy one of those tellies they were all fighting about on friday.
She got herself up, took herself off to the asda in Aintree arriving at quarter to seven (sale started at eight).
She said there were about forty people in front of her and when the sale started they let them in ten at a time.
According to her everyone queued in an orderly fashion and assistants told people behind her in the queue that if they were after a telly they probably wouldn't get one, a lot of these people left though the queue was packed by eight o clock apparently.
Anyway she managed to buy her telly no problem and still got home and got the kids to school on time.
She was lucky I suppose but contrast her experience in much maligned Liverpool with all those people near killing each other in other parts of the country, Manchester springs to mind. :rolleyes:

Strange how, when decent/good things happen in Liverpool, (which is quite often in my experience), it is never reported in the press. :rolleyes:

Ho hum. Good job we are thick skinned and can ignore these trivialities most of the time.

Seeing the chaos on the news, as plasma-deprived people fought each other for a cheap telly, it reminded me of the riots a few years ago.

When UK plc finally goes belly-up, and with our growing national debt it must be a virtual certainty, this is what the end of the world will look like.

It's just been on Sky News. They were interviewing a prat of a Londoner who was decrying all the 'chavs ap norf' for acting like idiots.

Clearly, he was blissfully unaware of the similar activities in London.

Strange how, when decent/good things happen in Liverpool, (which is quite often in my experience), it is never reported in the press. :rolleyes:

Ho hum. Good job we are thick skinned and can ignore these trivialities most of the time.

I've visited Liverpool a few times, especially in furtherance of my interest in organ music; something in which Liverpool rejoices in being well represented: both cathedrals, St George's Hall, Henry Willis organ builders.
Despite some people's negative perceptions of the city, I've never noticed anything even slightly untoward on my visits.

Perhaps it's just that I've never been to the 'wrong' parts! :LOL:

I must confess I had never heard of ' Black Friday' until last Monday.

And I also thought it was a Bad Thing until informed.
( though now I just see it as a Stupid Thing)

I've visited Liverpool a few times, especially in furtherance of my interest in organ music; something in which Liverpool rejoices in being well represented: both cathedrals, St George's Hall, Henry Willis organ builders.
Despite some people's negative perceptions of the city, I've never noticed anything even slightly untoward on my visits.

Perhaps it's just that I've never been to the 'wrong' parts! :LOL:

Last visited Liverpool in about 1991, and found it to be one of the friendliest places we had been to. We were in the centre, around the Liver Building and Lime St station (did the ferry) areas and visited 2 or 3 pubs there in the daytime. Never been to city centre pubs where people were so easy going, welcoming and talk to you as if they knew you. We were made to feel really welcome. Don't know if it's still the same, but it was quite different to other places - especially Bristol - where we seem to go out of our way to ignore each other.

Must be due a re-visit to Liverpool soon. If only to see if I can get my hubcaps back. ;)

Worked in Liverpool back in the late seventies/early eighties - a unique place in terms of a feeling of community/solidarity.

Always surprised when the media seems to display it as a negative.

Real melting pot in terms of culture - like most ports I guess.

I've visited Liverpool a few times, especially in furtherance of my interest in organ music;

Ahh Went to Tewksbury Abbey last year (visiting my sister who lives down South) and heard the magnificent "Milton Organ" being played.. Bloody fantastic. There's nothing like the sound of a church organ.

Sponsored Links
Back