Bit of context?

Ahh Went to Tewksbury Abbey last year (visiting my sister who lives down South) and heard the magnificent "Milton Organ" being played.. Bloody fantastic. There's nothing like the sound of a church organ.

Indeed. A trumpet is a trumpet, a flute is a flute, and a clarinet is a clarinet wherever you go. But organs are different, sometimes radically so, and different countries have their own national style. It's not just the grandeur but, more importantly, the enormous variety of sounds that interests me.

I wish I had the skills to play the damned things.

Sponsored Links
Aye, the Milton Organ is one of the oldest church organs in existence (built in the late 1600's) A magnificent sound for such an old instrument. I do love the sounds of church organs though. The acoustics of many churches just adds to the sound, with the echo's/reverberation in a large building. Nice to know a fellow appreciator of this kind of music. ;)

The acoustics of many churches just adds to the sound, with the echo's/reverberation in a large building. Nice to know a fellow appreciator of this kind of music. ;)

As has been said, the best stop on any organ is the building in which it sits.

Likewise. I'm afraid there are not many of us about!

Sponsored Links
The acoustics of many churches just adds to the sound, with the echo's/reverberation in a large building. Nice to know a fellow appreciator of this kind of music. ;)

Same with some choirs, I'd add.

I know that the size of the buildings was originally about visual grandeur but I wonder when the acoustics began to be specifically engineered?

Same with some choirs, I'd add.

I know that the size of the buildings was originally about visual grandeur but I wonder when the acoustics began to be specifically engineered?

Yes, the choir of King's College, Cambridge has been acclaimed as the best of its type in the world, but that also could be attributed to the acoustics of the chapel in which they usually sing.

Another statement I had the pleasure of hearing in person: "Even a fart in King's College Chapel sounds musical". I'd like to put that to the test one day. :LOL:

Back