Bitumen/Asphalt floor over concrete.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all now I have established what my floor is I'd like to attempt to level it for my laminate i n my 1930's ex council house.

My first idea was to double up on underlay where it was at it's deepest but I'm not sure that's a good idea??

Secondly I wanted to look at self levelling. I've had a look at a few posts but am still a little concerned with the bitumen asphalt floor.

Do I put a coat of watered down PVA onto the floor before using self levelling compound? If not what do I use?

What levelling compound (water or latex)?

I'm assuming the rock asphalt bitumen floor is part of my waterproofing?

Thanks I'm a complete novice and don't want to mess this up

Sponsored Links
Yes your bitumen sub-floor is a DPM but will probably be brittle and have cracks in it by now but still worth keeping.

I would use a latex screed (f-Ball green bag) with 114 latex.. www.f-ball.com about £18 each. very easy to lay as the latex and the screed = 1 mix (all pre measured)

You will need to clean your floor first and apply a neoprene primer before the screed, also available at f-ball or any decent tile outlet. I wouldn't use water based screed or pva on bitumen, it won't work..

Thankyou for the info. It's been quite helpfull

I had read about another product called Arditex (universal sub flooring compound) but I'll probably try this f ball stuff out.

Any ideas on cleaning the floor. Just soap and water or should I use anything stronger?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back