Bitumen removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ve been removing the bitumen from the wood block today i have beeb using an electrical bosch paper scraper/chisel it really removes the stuff quite easily.
My question is although it removes all the bitumen it leaves the bottom of the block black,( it looks as if the bottom has been painted)you can see the grain of the wood so there cant be much stuff still on there, does this have to be removed to gain the best adhesion between floor and block?

i would only beable to remove this with either sanding or a chemical that would break down the bitumen but is there any need .

cheers

Sponsored Links
bosch67 said:
My question is although it removes all the bitumen it leaves the bottom of the block black,( it looks as if the bottom has been painted)you can see the grain of the wood so there cant be much stuff still on there, does this have to be removed to gain the best adhesion between floor and block?

There will always be some 'residue' of the bitumen, like you have now. Not to worry. It might be that the 'modern' adhesive will take a little bit longer to bond the block to the underfloor, but that's the only 'set-back' it will have, as long as most of the bitumen has been removed (like you have been doing, good job!)

just to be shure you could try giving them a rub over with paraffin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back