Bizarre windows causing damp: pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are thinking about buying a do-er upper type property. The previous owner seems to have made a few bad decisions which has resulted in the house being wracked with damp, hence a really low asking price.

Just wanted to get a few opinions on this particular odd window design which is also causing damp.

Has anyone ever seen this sort of window before? Apparently, as there is no guttering, the rain pours down and has caused damp inside the doorway.

I've attached various pics to illustrate.

Where could the guttering actually go? Add a bit where the existing guttering is now, just carry it across? Or at window sill level with an extra downpipe? Or is it simply not possible to add guttering because of the odd design of it?

I would have thought the people who installed it in the first place would have known how to resolve the problem, but the estate agent didn't know who had put it in.

Cheers in advance for your expertise.

Sponsored Links
The absence of any gutter may cause the render to get soaked which is notorious for causing damp as it holds it in and prevent naturally drying process of brickwork, also pics is not clear but it seems the downpipe on the right finishes half way down the wall? and has a T joint with open pipe which would flush rain water against brickwork.

Sponsored Links
...also pics is not clear but it seems the downpipe on the right finishes half way down the wall? and has a T joint with open pipe which would flush rain water against brickwork.

Hi Foxhole, not sure about the bit poking out of the down pipe but it does actually go all the way to the ground.

Here's a clearer pic.

Thats four Velox windows butted up against eachother, isn't it?

I guess so John :confused: Is that bad? Inside pic probably shows it better.

The right hand downpipe has a swept tee in it - which isn't actually connected to anything.....curious but harmless enough so long as water doesn't splash out of it!
As for the windows, its somewhat unorthodox but so long as they aren't leaking to within then I wouldn't worry.
If you think about it, all windows drain water from the glass and down to the sill - the sill is supposed to project so that the wall doesn't get soaked.
Its also not a good idea for water falling from above to bounce on the ground, and splash back above DPC level.
John :)

So I'm assuming it's just a case of the existing guttering joining up to catch the rain coming down off the windows in the roof. Is that do-able do you think?

The existing guttering will have to stay as it is....I presume the gutter is stop ended where it abuts the windows?
Its possible I guess to put a gutter at the bottom of the windows, with a running outlet at the right hand end and from there connected into the down pipe......don't know how it would look though!
Are you certain the damp issue is caused by this window?

That's one of the things you can sort out when the scaffold is up.

I think we need a few close up shots of the door and the threshold Amanda, just to see where the damp actually is.
If you are convinced that the damp is caused by water running down the wall from the windows, one possible solution is to fix a timber 'eyebrow' above the door, which casts any running water clear.
I suspect though, that the door isn't sealed properly to the brickwork at its base - allowing water in there.

If you are convinced that the damp is caused by water running down the wall from the windows, one possible solution is to fix a timber 'eyebrow' above the door, which casts any running water clear.
I suspect though, that the door isn't sealed properly to the brickwork at its base - allowing water in there.

It was the EA telling us that the water cascades down in the rain. Like I said, the crumbling plaster in the doorway lead me to believe that the lack of any sort of guttering at the bizarre window arrangement above is to blame. Just putting 2 and 2 together really. But it would need an expert to look at it to know for sure. Can't really assess the situation from my lousy photography
:rolleyes:

Check your gutters may be blocked, if the down pipe has any obstructions in heavy rain the pipe could back up and spew water over the wall.Once wet the render prevents the wall drying quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back