black/brown stains on inside of woodburning stove glass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have been using the stove now for over 2 months, it was brand new and usually when cleaning it out i just dampen some kitchen roll and the discoloured glass comes up like new, this morning i cleaned out the fire and went to wipe glass clean only to find it will not shift! ive tried everything, its a black film covering half the glass and ive even tried gently scraping the glass with the edge of a stanley blade but this never even marked it...

would i better to light the fire and wait to the glass heats up and try again as it may be softend?

all help appreciated

paul

Sponsored Links
I use a paint scraper to get the worst off, then one of those wire things you use for washing up.
Comes up like new

Make sure the burning timber can't be in contact with the glass, and if your stove has an 'air wash' system make sure the (usually top) damper is open.
For a glass cleaner, there are proprietary cleaners, usually caustic - but if you dont want that try polishing the glass with an ordinary wash up foam pad, dipped in the soft ash itself.
John :)

Sponsored Links
We used a wood burner on holiday once with a 'air wash' system for clean glass.....didn't work.

I think we were trying to shut it down too much.

I just used the ash shovel to scrape it off the glass in the morning.

im burning chipboard, mdf and mostly coal... it has the airwash system, it says on the booklet not to use anything "abrasive" so surely it wouldnt be wise to use a scour pad etc??

The more abrasive the cleaner you use, the worse the glass will become to clean over time.....although naturally in this situation its difficult not to abrade the glass a bit!
Keep the burning material back from the glass is your best move.
John :)

My burner has the air wash system, its a sales con as it doesn't work.
I have followed instructions, burn wood or coal still gets dirty.
My glass is toughened, toughened glass will not scratch.
I have cleaned my oven door glass the same way for over 10 years, no scratches on it.
When I used to work, we used toughened glass as a base for cutting small items using a scalpel.

My burner has the air wash system, its a sales con as it doesn't work.
I have followed instructions, burn wood or coal still gets dirty.
My glass is toughened, toughened glass will not scratch.
I have cleaned my oven door glass the same way for over 10 years, no scratches on it.
When I used to work, we used toughened glass as a base for cutting small items using a scalpel.

cheers, i used a scour sponge with fairy liquid and it took of all the black and brown stains, although the glass has a metalic/frost effect now? like a film on the glass? not sure how to shift this though?

I just use clean water & its perfect. so cant help you any further.

the heat this evening seams to be gradually lifting it, its like residue sellotape leaves behind if that makes sense, anyway, seams to be clearing slowly but surely!

Plywood, mdf or chipboards are not recommended for burning as they have chemical adhesive which could be leaving residue on the glass including your flue pipe which is not healthy fumes

im burning chipboard, mdf and mostly coal... it has the airwash system, it says on the booklet not to use anything "abrasive" so surely it wouldnt be wise to use a scour pad etc??

You really do not want to burn those. A dirty glass is the least of your problems. They contain resins which when burnt give off toxic vapours. They can be burnt in industrial incinerators because of the higher temperatures, but not stoves. Also coal is not recommended in many/most stoves, I cannot remember why.

As for cleaning, yes a cloth dipped in ash as said earlier, or something non abrasive such as Bar Keepers Friend. Do not use abrasives substances or pads.

I've an idea that the name "wood burner" gives a clue to the recommended fuel - you are burning everything except wood!

I've an idea that the name "wood burner" gives a clue to the recommended fuel - you are burning everything except wood!
I think people call them wood burners when theyt are multifuel burners

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back