Black gloss over Woodstain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The door to my garage (oak veneer) is about 3 years old now, got a few cracks (Fairly fine, nothing major) and we want to gloss it black.
It's currently finished with Ronseal 5 year woodstain.
I've never been happy with the look, but it was more about getting it finished/protected in a bit of a hurry.

So far, I've filled the cracks with Metolux 2part wood filler and given the door a rub.
Can I go straight on with the undercoat > gloss. Or do I need to prime? I've read somewhere on here about stain bleeding through if you don't use aluminium primer? Would this really be an issue if I'm going to finish with black gloss anyway?

I guess I'm kind of hoping the products I have knocking around already may be suitable. Though if there a complete no-no then of course I'll buy the appropriate ones.
I currently have to hand....
Primer = Leyland trade acrylic (white)
Undercoat = Dulux Weathershield exterior (dark grey)

Would these be ok? No point in me using them if the gloss is going to chip off in 5 minutes.

If these are a non-starter.... whats your preferred system keeping the black gloss in mind?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
i would give a good sand down and apply zinsser BIN primer as this has great adhesion properties. you can then undercoat and gloss with your preferred undercoat (dark grey) and gloss (black) system.

i have to say i do like the gloss finish of dulux black oil based gloss.

i have to say i do like the gloss finish of dulux black oil based gloss.

You would say that. Being a rep for dulux. Your not selling you products now are you? Maybe you should keep the sales pitch for behind the trade counter elrobbo.

I used BIN before on some shelves and found I had to spend ages sanding out the drag marks (whats the drying time ?? 10 seconds? :evil: )
Would 1-2-3 be suitable? Or any easier to use?

Sponsored Links
The Ronseal will be a water based stain so wont bleed through. Give it a good rub down and two coats of dark grey undercoat, sanded between coats, then a coat of Dulux Black gloss. The blackest gloss you will find is Valspar, but its hard to find now.

Your dark grey undercoat is perfectly acceptable over Ronseal.
I can't see any need for a primer and certainly not Zinsser Bin which is only an exteror spot primer anyway.

The blackest gloss you will find is Valspar, but its hard to find now.

My local B&Q has just stopped their Dulux Trade colour mixing... Replaced it with Valspar.
Don't know if this is going right across B&Q or if its just a trial?? Bet Dulux aren't happy!

It may be the "blackest" but whats it like to use?

I can tell you what's best to use but not the blackest.

Is this going to be a "Solo" suggestion??

Just used it on my house doors. Done the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back