Black mold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Been having a move around and found this black mold in the corners behind where the wardrobes were.

I've cleaned it with bleach & water, though from what I've read it is possible that the mold may come back.

Does anyone know of an off the shelf solution or a way of getting rid of the mold.

Thanks for reading my post

Sponsored Links
Just seen a bunch of other mold related posts that didn't come up when I did a search.

Now know not to dry washing indoors and open windows when weather permits, too cold at the moment :(

Sponsored Links
It doesn't mean to say that disaster lies ahead, Jon - it just means that there's a cold surface for moisture to condense on, inadequate ventilation and maybe a tad more humidity in the house than is ideal for it.
Keep that room warm, and the door open if you can.
John :)

If it is economical to do so, you should also consider upgrading the insulation behind those areas.

Cavity insulation, and making sure insulation in the roof effectivly covers the ceiling. This can make the problem much more managable.

Mold spores settle and thrive on the damp walls, if you keep the air moving they can't settle and there is no damp to help it thrive.

If it is economical to do so, you should also consider upgrading the insulation behind those areas.

Cavity insulation, and making sure insulation in the roof effectivly covers the ceiling. This can make the problem much more managable.

Thanks Aron, have cavity and loft insulation.

Mold spores settle and thrive on the damp walls, if you keep the air moving they can't settle and there is no damp to help it thrive.

Thanks Foxhole, cracked open the windows and will be leaving door open as suggested by Burnerman

Thanks again guys for taking the time to answer my problem, was worried as it's at my Mums place.

I'll update with how I get along. :)

That is quite a lot of mould for an wall that has cavity insulation, if it is intact and correctly installed then you must have high humidity levels.

With loft insulation it is normally poorly fitted near the eaves. A gap needs to be left for ventillation, but fitters are typically lazy and leave the insulation too short and so you can often see part of the ceiling is uninsulated.

That is quite a lot of mould for an wall that has cavity insulation, if it is intact and correctly installed then you must have high humidity levels.

With loft insulation it is normally poorly fitted near the eaves. A gap needs to be left for ventillation, but fitters are typically lazy and leave the insulation too short and so you can often see part of the ceiling is uninsulated.

Thanks Aron, I believe its down to high humidity levels, wet towels and drying washing on the radiators, doors closed.

Hi Guys,
Update on this problem.

Followed the advice on cracking the windows, leaving doors open, not drying washing / towels on radiators and I'm pleased to say this resolved the problem and the mold did not come back :D

Thanks again to Burnerman, AronSearle & foxhole for all the advice :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back