Black mould in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP, I need some pointers as to how the hell I can get rid of it. It is attached to the "mould resistant" sealer along the top of the bath and is now going north towards the ceiling in the corner. can anyone surrgest anything, other than Napalm????

Sponsored Links
thanks for the speedy reply, I've just cancelled my napalm order :LOL: I think I need an extractor fan fitting in the bathroom, can I fit it in the hole that the vent to external air brick is? or does it need an extra fan fitting and also the air brick vent?

you will have to make some klind of plate to fit over your existing vent so that air can't pass round the fan duct.

preferably a bathrrom fan should be fitted high up and far from the door, so it will draw dry air from the house through the gap under the door. Water vapour is lighter than air.

do not put an electric fan directly above a bath or shower as the electrity safety rules are then more onerous.

A centrifugal fan is generally quieter and more powerful than an exial one.

Sponsored Links
the air brick vent is above the bath, about 8 inches from ceiling. I popped into the local F*cus this afternoon to see what's on the market, there's alot of choice, so just one more question before opening the wallet.
do I need (or is it best) to have the fan through the wall or in the ceiling and exiting though the loft???? I've seen both.

HELP, I need some pointers as to how the hell I can get rid of it. It is attached to the "mould resistant" sealer along the top of the bath and is now going north towards the ceiling in the corner. can anyone surrgest anything, other than Napalm????

Remove the silicon and replace it. No sealer remains free of mould in a bathroom in the long term.

through the wall is usually less trouble. If it goes through the loft it is absolutely essential to have a sealed duct exiting outisde the house, not steam blowing into the loft space.

You can get some good centrifugal loft fans at reasonable cost, but not those weedy little in-line fans that sit in a flexy pipe.

You must wrap the loft duct in loft insulation or it will get water condensing inside it.

I'd seen those in line ones and thought they looked a bit puney. thought about through the ceiling and out through the loft as I wouldn't have to cut through my tiles.

There are a number of considerations when selecting an extractor.

Many people opt for the ones that come one when the lights are turned on- that's fine if people only shower at night time but in reality people don't turn the light on to shower when it is light outside.

The most basic fan will have a pull cord or remote switch.

You might want to consider one with a movement sensor and over run. The down side to these (in my limited experience) is that they see ghosts and run for no obvious reason.

A fan with a humidistat will turn on when the moisture reaches a certain level.

You can get fans with a different combination of sensors to suit your needs.

B&Q will probably be quite limited in thier range so try someone like

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/Aidelle_Icon_Fans/index.html

I have linked to a specific type of fan- only because the site navigation is crap. I do have an icon 30 fan with humidistat and pir, I am happy with it but it is noisy (ie. the sound of the air rather than motor) and it does run when no one has even been into the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back