BLACK MOULD ON WALLPAPER AFTER LEAK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a few weeks ago we had a roof leak and the rain has come through to our bedrooms, this was repaired but now as the time has gone on we have some small spots of black mould on the wallpaper, what is the best remedy,
should i strip and leave to dryout and then repaper, i have heard there is something i can paint on the bare plaster after stripping which stops the marks coming back through, any tips please.

Sponsored Links
strip the paper and wash down with a fungicide solution then apply an anti mould acrylic (2 coats). i would recommend johnstones for this as this is what i use. if its bare plaster behind the paper don't forget to prime with a watered down coat off matt emulsion first. you can then re paper.

make sure the leak has been fixed first though!!!

forgot to mention that if there is a water stain, you will have to touch up with either a thinned down oil based undercoat or a stain block.

Strip the paper and allow the walls to dry out completly, and wash the mould/stained areas with an anti fungicidal wash, when dry paint the areas with an Alkali Resisting Primer.

Dec

Just one word with regards to the oil based undercoat, it can stop the stain reappearing and sometimes it cannot The Alkali resisting primer is the correct product for the job.

Dec

Sponsored Links
thedec

your right going for alkali primer is a better choice. i tend to use BIN for this sort of thing due to the fact i have loads in stock and that it is just spot priming. wouldn't buy it specifically for this job though.

When water soaks into masonry it can sometimes activate salts that will lead to the formation of efflorescence, that is why it is of the utmost importance that an Alkali Resisting Primer is used.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back