Black sludge / specs / ash substance coming out of hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been getting black specs out of the hot water taps for a few weeks now, on and off. I have a Saunier Duval boiler (I know, but it came with the flat!). I have also noticed the hot water out of the taps doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the radiators and if you slow the tap down it does get hotter especially when compared to the sink which has a slower flow and is MUCH hotter.

Please see the attached photo of the black stuff and a photo of the boiler (they put a sticker over the info panel so I don't know the model number!). It's about 5 years old apparently.

Had a new kitchen and bathroom put in last year and most of the pipes are new, plus a new rad in the bathroom but I understand that's a closed system so it wouldn't have come from that.

We don't seem to get any sludge in the cold water (none in the toilet cistern) and more seems to come out when I run a bath so I wonder if it could be the flexi hoses used to go to the taps failing?

Any recommendations please let me know and any further testing I'm more than willing to have a go at.

Copper pipes, main pipes aren't much more than 5-8 years old.

//www.diynot.com/network/crag/albums/11330

Sponsored Links
it could be o rings or washers or a diaphragm that has perished and worked its way thru the pipe work. if the bathroom and kitchen are new (ish) then its more likely to be in the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back