Blackie's Dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought I'd let you know I had my 16 yo cat put down today.

He had an accident in July (run over by Mrs Secure!) and lost his tail.

Since then, he has lost weight (he ws 50% lighter at 3kg).

Vet thought he had renal failure, probably triggered by the accident.

Farewell old friend!

Sponsored Links
:( Kinder thing to do for him than let him suffer.

16's a good innings. I know some people may think its only an animal, but after so many years they can have a special place in your hearts.

All the best Secure & Mrs.

Sponsored Links
Our cats all run away. The only one that didn't was pip. Had him best part of 10 years, got him from RSPCA. He was a fighter, but had a very nice temperament when he wanted. An outdoors cat, we weren't too attached to him. His QOL declined in later years, and one day he went out and we never saw him again. :(

i'm sorry to hear about Blackie, securespark. I've got 3 that are very dear to me. I can imagine how the Mrs S felt......please let her know that she was not responsible....cats (especially) because of their curiosity, seem to always find a spot of trouble to get into and accidents do happen. They are family. I'm sure he will be missed :cry:

I love cats. As youngster I was allergic to them :cry: Ten years ago I thought I must have outgrown that, and got a very, tiny beautiful cat. A pleasure of a beast. Turned out that I was still allergic (eczema) and after 1,5 years I had to find her another good home. New 'keepers' (you don't own a cat, cat owns you ;)) kept me up-to-date for a while until we moved to the UK. Since then we 'house-sat' cats of friends and no more bouts of eczema (allergies all seem to have disappeared within a year of moving from an heavy industrialised part of NL to 'nature' Kent) so I'm thinking hard of keeping a cat again.

Thanks for your kind words. It certainly wasn't easy.

I've found a piccy taken just before his accident:

1230120700.jpg

He was nearly 16 at this time.

Granted, but difficult nonetheless.

I know it's for the best, but it was surreal to be there, giving the vet my consent to do it. It's not in my nature to even kill flies, let alone anything else!

Sponsored Links
Back