blacking out car windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what i want is something that i can stick on the inside of my car windows stop anyone seeing in. silver would be ideal but white would do. but it also needs to be easily removeable. any ideas what i could use for this? some kinda plastic that isnt really sticky but sticks to glass would be great

Sponsored Links
dont think you will find any temporary solution,only the proper window film,chances are it would also look terrible if the average diyer tried to apply it

You are only allowed tints that stop 25% of light through front windscreen and 30% through side windows. Any more and you are breaking the law and liable to a fine and points.

Those amounts are cumulative so if your car windows are already a 10% tint, as some are, by applying films you are more likely to comit an offence.

nstreet said:
You are only allowed tints that stop 25% of light through front windscreen and 30% through side windows. Any more and you are breaking the law and liable to a fine and points.

Those amounts are cumulative so if your car windows are already a 10% tint, as some are, by applying films you are more likely to comit an offence.

its only windows behind the drivers seat. if they want to say that illegal, then 90% of vans are illegal. and we might aswell say every HGV since they dont have rear windows.

Sponsored Links
simon_d said:
nstreet said:

its only windows behind the drivers seat. if they want to say that illegal, then 90% of vans are illegal. and we might aswell say every HGV since they dont have rear windows.

once they have been fitted as yours have they must be functional to pass an mot

if not fitted in the first place you dont need them

the day to day charge is somthing different but dont ask me what it :D :D ;) is ;)

simon_d said:
nstreet said:

No, they dont have rear windows and therefore not illegal. If you have WINDOWS you may only tint up to the limits previous. If you dont have windows then the ruling doesn't apply. i.e for metal panelled vans and trucks. :confused:

sp whats the difference between a metal panel and a glass window blacked out. and some of the windows i cant even see out of anyway even if lookin back

Where can i get tinting film for the metal panels on the back sides of my van? i want it to look cool you see. :rolleyes:

simon_d, stop being so pedantic.

you have rear windows, they have to be useable. full stop. Vans are a functional vehicle, there is a reason they have no rear windows. Cars have no reason NOT to have rear windows, so they have them, and therefore they must be useable within the law.

crafty1289 said:
Where can i get tinting film for the metal panels on the back sides of my van? i want it to look cool you see. :rolleyes:

simon_d, stop being so pedantic.

you have rear windows, they have to be useable. full stop. Vans are a functional vehicle, there is a reason they have no rear windows. Cars have no reason NOT to have rear windows, so they have them, and therefore they must be useable within the law.

actually, my car is available WITHOUT back windows. i drive HGV's most of the time and i manage doin that quite well using just the 2 door mirrors and no rear view mirror

now, obviously you lot are more interested in saying why i should do stuff and that its illegal etc (even tho no-one has actually give a link) rather than help people.

simon_d said:
actually, my car is available WITHOUT back windows.
that'd be a van then :rolleyes: (like a Ford Ka Van and a Vauxhall Corsa Van and the Astra Van) But they are purpose built without back windows, . . . never mind, i'm wasting my time.

And most DIY fits look terrible. get it done professionally.

nstreet said:
If you have WINDOWS you may only tint up to the limits previous. If you dont have windows then the ruling doesn't apply. i.e for metal panelled vans and trucks. :confused:

oh really? well, according to this i can do anything i want to the windows behind the drivers seat.

simon_d said:
nstreet said:
If you have WINDOWS you may only tint up to the limits previous. If you dont have windows then the ruling doesn't apply. i.e for metal panelled vans and trucks. :confused:

oh really? well, according to this i can do anything i want to the windows behind the drivers seat.

heeellloo simon i read it through [so i was wrong about it would be an mot failure ;) ]

now as far as i can see it didnt mention any fully internal window but may be wrong ;)

but surely a tinted window behind you will hinder your veiw when parking for example your vew out of all but the front window will be highly tinted so by that point it will be ilegal for restricting your veiw

i am NOT having a dig at you i am just trying to help you keep within the law as i interprit it :D

i know they probably give you the creeps like they give me but why not ask at your local police station :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back