Blanking plug and Bleed Valve on new radiator fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am just preparing a new radiator for fitting. Both the Bleed Valve and the blanking plug have a rubber grommet on them. I would normally not put pure tape on them as there is the grommet but a friend has come along and said that I should be putting PTFE on them.

Even though there is a rubber grommet on both fixings could someone just confirm if I should be putting PTFE tape on them or not please.

Many thanks

Dougie

Sponsored Links
No need Dougie.....the O ring will give the seal, and once in there's no need to disturb them - unless to add inhibitor via the blank of course.
John :)

Awesome.. I thought I was right.. you've just won me a beer bet...haha... thank you Burnerman... Do you mind while your on my post if I ask you about inhibitor? Ive lived in my house for 10 years and never had anything added and from what I recall nothing is added to the system when I have the boiler serviced. Ive read I add rust inhibitor and after about a month drain the system, is that right?

Sponsored Links
Inhibitor should be checked every couple of years to confirm it's still at an adequate concentration. It doesn't need drained and re-filled every couple of years, no. Inhibitor stays in the system like long life antifreeze in a car, it shouldn't need replaced, just topped up.

I'll let the others guide you through the cleaning process, but all systems will have black crud called magnetite in the system to some degree. This stuff is actually rust from the steel or iron parts in the heating system, without enough oxygen present to colour it brown, if you get my drift.
Anyway, the great enemy of a heating system is fresh water.....the oxygen in that will kick off the corrosion process, so the less fresh water introduced the better.
If I'm renewing a radiator it gets a dose of inhibitor - Fernox F1 is my favourite. If I'm replacing a radiator it gets a good flush out with a hose pipe, and then an inhibitor dose.
John :)

Thanks for your help everyone.. I think I shall start a new thread about what I should do about cleaning and flushing the system as its an area that Ive never thought of but everyone keeps telling me I should do it due to the age of my boiler. Keep your eyes open please... really appreciate any guidance..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back