Blistering in small bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

While painting my small downstairs bathroom I noticed on my second coat the paint was blistering in places, NNNOoooo!

I know for best I need to strip everything right back to the plaster question is what's the best way, as so far I haven't had this problem before.

Do I simply use paint striper, steamer and scraper? Or is there an easier way? It's not that big a room just an action plan would be good.

Thanks in advance, Ian.

Sponsored Links
What paint and what were you applying it two.

I know you said plaster but was it pre-painted and if so with what.

Dec

It was a simple matt white over a horrid matt blue, with an even nastier yellow below it. Walls are normal plaster below.

Right, if you scrape back the bubbling paint can you see bare plaster.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Yup I can, I have done this on part one wall where the blisering was the worst but there is more blistering on the other 3 walls so I was quessing it would be best to just strip everthing? :(

What I think has happened here is there was no mist coat applied so the blue paint has not bonded with the plaster skim, and the pressure applied with either brush or roller is pullling it off the wall. Does that sound about right.

Or should I say yellow paint. ;)

Dec

Yes I would say the build up of 2 layers was ok but my new coal is just pulling it off, will it all have to come off?

Well,

In reality you would be better to remove the the lot with either a hot air stripper or steamer yet both of these methods can cause the skim to blow. So get yourself some 120 grit sandpaper and scraper and sand back the paintwork, dont be afraid to apply pressure the more that comes off the better, then any bear areas of skim should be mist coated with a thinned matt emulsion say around 20% water, then if there is a need face fill those areas and lightly sand then again mist the filler. Then if all goes well you just may get away with it.

An alternative would be to line the walls.

Dec

Yes I would say the build up of 2 layers was ok but my new coal is just pulling it off, will it all have to come off?

Thankd mate!! I guessed that, take as much asI can carefull and sand alot.

Cheers

Yes, if you get it right it should all work out fine, let us know how you get on.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back