Blistering paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had the walls re-skimmed and have painted them with watered down emulsion.

This has worked fine in all places except one where it has blistered. When it first started I peeled the blistered paint off and put another coat on. I have returned to it today after a couple of days to find out the problem has got worse.

There is a shower on the other side of the wall, could damp be getting through the wall? There was no sign of damp before the wall was skimmed so I don't think it can be this.

Does any one have any other suggestions?

photo of problem;

Sponsored Links
I replaced the seal in the shower and since then I think the blistering has stopped. I have drawn round the patch to monitor if it is growing and it does not seem to be so i am going to sand the blistered paint off and then repaint the area. Thanks to those that helped.

(it was Crown Matt emulsion, not sure of the exact composition, whisper of 'something' range.)

Sponsored Links
Hi
did u get this proble sorted because iv just come across this in a big way.i had to use pva 50/50 to seal the ceiling which has worked in the rooms where the blistering was least..BUT iv just plastered the kitchen ceiling and the blisters have come thru the plaster in places and where they haven't come thru they have left a water stain ring around the blisters.

The thing is it's not water either because after sealing the rings with a oil based sealer when water based paints are put over the sealed areas the stains are coming through again...iv bn a painter for 15 years and never seen anything like this and to be honest it's beat me..
I'm shining towards either very heavy nicotine or serious cooking fats or oils.

If u got your problem sorted I'd like to know as it could help my problem..maybe haha

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back