Block Building

dg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After searching for days looking for a suitable shed I've decided
to build my own using concrete blocks.
My question is what type of blocks to use and also would I be able
to build these directly onto an existing low (2 courses) wall.
:D

Sponsored Links
You probably be better off using precast slab as they're a lot easier to build with nut/bolts together and cheaper.I'm building my summerhouse now with precast slabs then T&G timber cladding on the outside of the walls with pitch roof saving approx 60-70% of a price of a summerhouse.To give you an idea of my summerhouse is approx 30' x 9' with four windows and 2 double doors, roof tile effect sheet materials cost me so far £2100 where you would only get a small summerhouse for that.The problem building with blocks would normally requires building permission where precast don't as they come under sectional building providing it not more than 50% of your garden and 5m away from your property.I managed to get slight seconds with hairline crack precast for half price as I'm covering it up with claddings.The precast slabs size approx 2m height x 400mm wide cost £15 each.If you are interested I can give you the company address + website

If you're using blocks then you'll have render the outside to stop the rain soaking in.

Masona, any pictures? and info about the slabs would be useful to me please.

Depending on your area this one is the nearest to me and very helpful.

See their website here.

For the metal tile sheet effect which you can get in 6 difference colour,see this. If you look at the picture of the building with the timber cladding,it is very similar to what I'm doing as I can't show you any picture at the moment as the my digital camera is faulty at the moment ! Will send one on when project finish!

Sponsored Links
Masona, could you give a rough indication of the price per quantity with regard to the roofing?

I'm considering doing a sloping roof \ rather than a peaked ^ (with felt) do you think it would be possible with this material or do you think it would be a botch?

Cheers :D

You only got to fit this once then forget it ! I'm very please with it.

SLE Cladding Ltd charged me £206.47 for 4 off @ 4.6m lenght x 1m wide terracotta versateel tile effect which work out approx £11.22 per square metre (very reasonable I think) and 50 colour caps + washer approx £5 to £10.Delivery depending where you're base at but for me it was £60 as it was a 5 hours journey !

I have nearly finish my summerhouse and if you are interested I will post the photo on here.

See this half way down a picture of a summerhouse with a tile effect sheets.Not sure what you want to know?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back