block layers made a balls of my roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been putting this off for over 7 years but now need it sorted because i hope to sell my house soon. When my home was getting built we had bad weather when the trusses were getting errected but the roffers still went ahead with putting them up anyway and there were 3 more attic trusses to put up they decided to go on another job and left the roof as it was but then disaster struck. We had 100mph winds and as the trusses werent braced properly they all leaned against my gable and knocked it down on top of all the scafold.

I then had to get the block layers out to build the gable back up but couldnt get the roofers back because they went away for more money on another job. The block layers told me that they could fix the roof so i let them go ahead with the work because i couldnt get anyone else in to do it. I let them errect the last few attic trusses ,batten and felt then tile the roof which i thought was a good job untill i noticed that a good few of the trusses werent plumb after everything including my rooms/bathrooms were finished out. I just put it to the back of my mind because i just didnt have the money to fix the problem but have noticed a crack on the outer wall at teh back of my house. I dont no if this is because of the roof spread being wrong or is this just settlement cracks. The crack started off as a small crack but over theh years its been crawling down the wall more.

My enigener came out and seen the roof before it knocked the wall down and i didnt inform him of it. He then came out and seen the roof finished so then passed it but he doesnt no how bad it is in. I know im a fool for not informing him but i was trying to keep costs down and get the build finished as soon as possible.

Im now left with attic trusses that arent plumb and a few that are 2 inches spaced more that what they should be. I would like some advice on where i need to do next as i need it sorted for selling my house

Sponsored Links
I'd keep quiet and play dumb until the purchasers surveyor spots something, then cost up how much it's going to be.

I'd keep quiet and play dumb until the purchasers surveyor spots something, then cost up how much it's going to be.

What happens when surveyors come and check the house for a buyer, do they check to see if every truss is plumb and spaced 600mm. Ive never sold or bought a house so im not lued up on this

I would prefare to get this sorted before a sale because they will prob pull out or it will come back to bite me a few years after the sale if tehy notice it. How do i stand legaly if i dont say anything but TBH i wouldnt like to do that on anyone

So the workmanship on the roof trusses is not as good as it would normally be. - I don't think that is really a problem. No Surveyor is going to start checking each of your trusses for plumb or the accuracy of the setting out.

A Surveyor should be interested in the crack and may even require a structural engineers report on it. - I think you will find that it will be in respect of something unrelated to the trusses.

I would be inclined to simply put your house on the market when you think the time is right and let the surveyors etc. do their thing. I certainly would not be worried about it.

Sponsored Links
So the workmanship on the roof trusses is not as good as it would normally be. - I don't think that is really a problem. No Surveyor is going to start checking each of your trusses for plumb or the accuracy of the setting out.

A Surveyor should be interested in the crack and may even require a structural engineers report on it. - I think you will find that it will be in respect of something unrelated to the trusses.

I would be inclined to simply put your house on the market when you think the time is right and let the surveyors etc. do their thing. I certainly would not be worried about it.

I dont think the workman ship is just abit bad, its really bad. Trusses arent spaced properly they are all 550-620-650-600-570mm spaced when they should alll be 600mm spaced. When i say they arent plumb, they could be 2inch or more of plumb from top to bottom. I would think that would be serious and start putting alot of stress on the walls and this is prob why its cracking.

Also my celing height is suppose to be 2.4m but i got the trusses cheaper because teh space was 2.4m but when i put chip t&g flooring and strip wooden floor on top then now my celing height is 2.35m and teh regs here in southern ireland are 2.4m. I bought teh trusses from northen ireland where i think teh regs celing height is 2.3m

The maximum out of plumb for a roof truss is usually 25mm - i.e. That would be considered acceptable workmanship. The maximum spacing of 600mm gives a cetain number of trusses. Your truss centres are badly set out but you have the right number to take the loads and at least they average out at 600mm!

So long as your trusses have all been properly braced and fixed then I would still not be overly concerned. However, if all your trusses are out of plumb in the same direction, that would concern me. Or if the bracing was not correctly done.

Quite frankly I would not at all be bothered about your 2.35m or 2.4m height issue.

Just because the setting out workmanship is poor, it does not mean it will be condemned. As I said before, I would let the surveyors investigate the cracks you have and not jump to any conclusions.

The maximum out of plumb for a roof truss is usually 25mm - i.e. That would be considered acceptable workmanship. The maximum spacing of 600mm gives a cetain number of trusses. Your truss centres are badly set out but you have the right number to take the loads and at least they average out at 600mm!

So long as your trusses have all been properly braced and fixed then I would still not be overly concerned. However, if all your trusses are out of plumb in the same direction, that would concern me. Or if the bracing was not correctly done.

Quite frankly I would not at all be bothered about your 2.35m or 2.4m height issue.

Just because the setting out workmanship is poor, it does not mean it will be condemned. As I said before, I would let the surveyors investigate the cracks you have and not jump to any conclusions.

I will check in the next few days to see if the ones that arent plumb are all going the same direction but TBH imm near sure most of them are. What sort of problem would this cause if they are.

If they were all out of plumb (more than the 25mm) and in the same direction it would put a load on the bracing that was never intended. Then you would want an Engineer to check and if necessary, specify a solution. Could be as simple as additional bracing (if you can get it in!). Diagonal bracing in this instance.

If you really think the crack is related to the roof trusses and don't feel comfortable about it, you could ask an engineer to inspect the crack and issue a recommendation for any work that may be required. You would then be able to either sell the House and give copies of the report to prospective buyers. Or if work is required, have the option of either leaving a buyer to do the work or do it yourself.

Does anyone know of any enigeneers forums there are so i can post there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back