block up air vents ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently moved into a 1940's solid brick built house. All 3 bedrooms have large air vents on the exterior wall, which is making the rooms cold.

They were obviously put in for a reason when built, but what is stopping me from just blocking them up ?

Thanks for any advice :)

Paul

Sponsored Links
They were probably put in to help avoid condensation problems. The only other reason for air bricks in a solid wall up there would be if there were open flued appliances in the rooms.
You could try blocking them up and see if there was any condensation.

They are just an archaic thing that was done in building then- like no roof insulation - and ventilated cavities . Things move on ;) Do make sure there is a modern anti draught air vent if you have a gas fire or old style boiler. In fact - get gas appliances checked as a matter of course in any house move :idea:

I have recently moved into a 1940's solid brick built house. All 3 bedrooms have large air vents on the exterior wall, which is making the rooms cold.
Unusually late for solid brick. :eek:

Unless you have trickle vents in new windows as well, I'd just put grilles over them. You keep your options for dealing with condensation.

(If you've got any old gas appliances that take air from the room - chuck them out.)

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice guys

the new boiler has just been installed and that's the only gas appliance in the house now....so that side of things is not an issue :)

maybe I'll just block them temporarily for now to make sure condensation ain't a problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back