Blocked drain?

bot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post people so I hope this is in the right place.
I had a knock on the door this morning, a bloke was bending over an inspection chamber in my garden. He said he was from homeserve working for a house two doors away. He said there drain had backed up and was coming out over there drive. He then said did I know which way the drains ran. I said I didn't and left him to his inspection. He then comes to the door again, and says "bad news" it looks like there's a block in my drain and did I want him to do it at a cost or would I get someone to do it. I was a bit shocked as I have had no problems with the drains. I said I would get someone to do it and he left.
I looked down the chamber and there is a bit of water in there, about 5 or 6 inches. I flushed the toilet and the water bubbled up a bit and then went down to the same level. The water is dirty though.
Can someone tell me what is going on, I'm having no problems yet this bloke says I'll have to get it fixed.
I haven't been to see the people 2 doors away yet. I'm not sure I want to get to involved.
Any ideas or similar experiences would be good. :confused:

Sponsored Links
If it aint broke dont fix it.
Keep an eye on it should run free .
Perhaps you share the same drain .ie all run in to one main drain .
If there is a partial blockage and it also affects your neighbours the cost is usally shared.
Buy a set of drain rods for £20 and have a go yourself it aint rocket science (unless you get em stuck)

Cheers pete

I think you'll right about the shared drain. I'm going to borrow some rods and have a go tomorrow, but not going any further than that. As you say it ain't broke. I've calmed down a bit now :cool:

As an update, the daughter of the house 2 doors away came round this morning, and said that their insurance company have said the block is on my land and it's up to me to sort out.
I had already stuck rods down from my inspection chamber and they go to the end of the garden then stop, I reckon this is where it tees into the pipe from 2 doors along. In the chamber there is only 2 ways and that is from the house and out to the edge of the garden.
Could the set up be that there is the main straight pipe run from 2 doors away to the main drain and mine and next doors tee into it? If that is the case can it only be cleared by rodding from 2 doors away.
I told her this is how I thought it ran and would need clearing from her end. She is going to ring the insurance company back.
Your thoughts would be good, as I need all the info I can.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
All sorted, the same guy came out as yesterday, I was armed with your advise and said it must in the main pipe. He said he didn't know which way the drains ran, and was only going by what a bloke said on the estate. Anyway he rodded it from the house with the problem and put a jet down, which cleared it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back