Blocked toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, so I have little ones who use too much loo paper... my loo is now blocked but water still goes down very slowly. Historically I've been able to clear this when it happens but now facing using the chemical unblockers as I've been unsuccessful this time...just wondering what anyone recommends as best product and what to do if this fails.....obviously I can get my Plummer but would try to avoid if I can.
I haven't been able to use a plunger as it doesn't fit, the hole in the pan is much too large. I've used a long bendy bungee to go up round the bend but nothing changed and nothing to find or feel so the blockage is quite well back. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Never use chemicals ! Get a larger plunger - the plumber will have one.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for all advice; I'm trying all I can myself before resorting to Plummer so I'll not be calling them just yet for a plunger...

Andy, just to clarify, you mean fairy type washing up liquid and not washing machine powder?

Fireman T, not entirely sure what you're referring to.. only toilet duck I use is loo cleaner...

Burnerman thNks, I saw them in screwfix but it wasn't clear if suitable to use on loo pan.... I got something slightly different to put through the pan u bend and pipes.. it's a Drain Unblocker part no 11325 and had very good positive reviews including fir toilets. I'll try the hot water and fairy liquid 1st though.

Thanks for your help :)

Kerry, those drain snakes do have their place but not really in a loo situation. The device I've recommended plugs into the water trap and does a good job of clearing things when you work the plunger....really worth a try.
John :)

For less then £10, buy a plunger, most if not all diy outlets stock them. Allow most of the water to drain then flush and plunge
Toolstation

Last edited:
Hi John, which part is the water trap? You say it plugs in to this part... I'm certain it's only excess loo paper causing the issue.

Pete, I have a plunger but it didnt work as it is not big enough to cover the pan hole. First thing I tried after multiple flushes.

Kerry, the trick is flush and plunge at the same time.. If it's only paper, then it should work

How do you know there is not a doll, toy car, or wallet stuck down there?

This device is pushed down into the water you can see, and sort of hooks under the bend if you like.
You then pump the plunger which causes a pressure wave in the loo drain, and gets things moving.
It's the sort of thing that janitors have in schools, hotels and so on.
John :)

John thanks for the explanation that helps a lot:) I think I will invest in one, I'm gonna try this hot water and fairy liquid 1st as it may save another trip out tonight with poorly children.

John D: My girls are 5yrs old, pretty switched on but do overuse the loo roll somewhat (new habits being taught currently to avoid future episodes I hope). Whilst I obviously can't X-ray it to be 100%sure, I know my girls and it's just loo roll and also possibly some natural body waste... no toys or other stuff. Plus they've been poorly last 2 days and not up to much st all so it's reasonable at this point to assume nothing unusual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back