"Blocked Toilet"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Downstairs loo is blocked, there is a soil stack right next to the toilet. When I unscrew and remove the soil stack access "thingy" water flushes no problem and no blockage.

When i screw the part / thingy back into the soil stack the water does not flush in the toilet and drains very slowly.

I'm guessing there is an air issue, I've checked the outside of the house, i can't see a soil stack vent.

New build house from 2013

Sponsored Links
There is a partial blockage either in the stack (below the WC connection) or in the sewer.

Do you have any external inspection chambers - start near the base of the stack

Thanks for the reply will take a look in the morning.
The stack access thingy when removed lets air into the stack and the toilet flushes and drains, thought it may be the valve as there is no external vent....?

Fit a new aav (soil stack access thingy).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply will take a look in the morning.
The stack access thingy when removed lets air into the stack and the toilet flushes and drains, thought it may be the valve as there is no external vent....?

Easy... fit new house around existing drainage. :ROFLMAO:

It's more likely that when you remove the fitting you are allowing positive pressure out - indicating a blockage.

Your description of unscrewing the 'access thingy' suggests that you've got an access cap something like this

ae235

If you have an AAV it may look something like this

ae235

When you unscrew the 'thingy' is there a rubber diaphragm or do you look straight down the stack?

Either way, the likelihood is that you have a blockage.

Thanks newboy picture attached of access cap.
When i unscrew the access cap the toilet flushes with no problem, with the access cap on the water stays in the bowl and drains very slowly
Uploaded a video to YouTube to show what happens.

Many Thanks

WP_20161129_18_18_45_Pro_LI.jpg

you have a blockage/partial blockage - opening the cap allows the air to be released and the pan to empty.

The sewer/stack is filling up each time you discharge the pan.

Have you checked inspection chamber(s)?

Not sure where the inspection chamber is, where would this normally be located?
Could it be the AAV is stuck? There isn't a stack vent on the roof.

When flushing with the access cap open I can hear the water running down the stack without an apparent blockage,

Inspection chamber could be in your garden. Your aav will be stuck in the closed position. If you can access it try giving it a clout, or replace. Deffo check chamber as well. Do you use toilet/baby wipes ? Having LOADS of bother on the site i'm on with these. Homeowners say "we don't use them" lift cover and its full of them.

I'm not sure how many ways there are to say this but - YOU HAVE A BLOCKAGE

It's not an AAV fault ITS A BLOCKAGE

When you remove the access cap you are relieving POSITIVE PRESSURE caused by a BLOCKAGE. By releasing the air the water can flow into the blocked pipework.

The AAV (if you have one) relieves negative pressure to prevent siphon-age from sanitary appliances.

The AAV does what it says on the tin, it is an Air Admittance Valve, it lets air IN. It shouldn't let air out as then sewer gases would also escape, and the house would stink.

You have a blockage further down the run. When you flush the WC the water cannot displace the air trapped in the pipework above the blockage, so the pan fills up. Removing the cap allows the air to escape, but the water is still building up behind the blockage. You need to look outside and find the inspection chamber, lift the lid and see what's going on.

New build house of that era, will have plastic chambers, look for black plastic lids, could be either square or round, possibly screwed down. http://www.wavin.co.uk/web/products.../osmadrain-450mm-sq-cover-frame-15kn-bk-5.htm

Erm, let me think for a moment...
Could it be you have a BLOCKAGE!
You are filling up a huge test tube full of shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back