Blocking 2 air vents in kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im getting a new kitchen put in, and under the sink there use to be a big draught of air.

After ripping out part of the kitchen i can see why as their is 2 big air vents going straight outside (they have a wire mesh on the kitchen side). I know your not meant to block air vents under the wooden floorboards. But these air vents are approx 40cms & 60cms above the floor (floor is concrete floor)

Can i block these air vents or will it cause problems later on?

Just to add (if it makes a difference) the kitchen has been extended greatly by making it a part of the dining room (solid supporting wall knocked down with steal beam in place) , so kitchen has been doubled in size to let more natural light in.

Sponsored Links
possibly from the old larder that used to be in old houses

do you have any gas appliances in connecting rooms that may be relying on these vents for air flow !!!!!!

no gas at all.

Been speaking to ones in work, they are saying there is no use for the air vents possibly been installed for tumble dryers etc.. (as they are above ground)

Probably ventilation for an old pantry. If you are fitting an extractor (as you should be) then I can't think of any reasons not to block them up.

Sponsored Links
You can block but you need at least one installing high on wall to outside and a mechanical vent [extractor fan] is also desirable to avoid condensation and damp problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back