blocking air bricks is OK for concrete slab?

S

snadge

my next door neighbours brother (who is a retired builder) built a porch for him 25 years ago, we realised that the air bricks were blocked up by the concrete slab that was put there for the porch - i told my neighbour and he defended his brother saying the regulations were different back then and you probably were allowed to do so? - I told him that is very unlikely, I mean if air bricks weren't important they wouldn't be there - his brother should have ran a channel through/under the concrete slab, now his entire dining room does not have air flowing through, he has a problem with water coming and and it will be impossible to dry out.

he confronted his brother about this and his brother said to him something along the lines of "because he was putting a concrete slab in he was allowed to block them up"...

is this true?

I dont think it is

thanks

Sponsored Links
25 years ago?

Believe it or not, there are actually no laws against blocking air bricks up

But if the ground floor is still up, you can probably assume everything is OK

thanks woody

he should of still run some in though in case he got damp down there, I found information on other websites that says on raised floors they are absolutely necesary

Sponsored Links
So what, it was 25 years ago? :confused:

besides the point, he now has water leaking in under the floor and has problems airing it out to get it dry... had the air bricks been in it would have dried naturally - now we have to leave floor up with fans down there too dry it out - it was an obvious balls up, regardless if it happened 25 years ago or not

just cos it was 25 years ago doesnt mean it was OK to do it.

I don't understand your persistance. I am not arguing whether it should or should not have been done. Ventilation is there to provide a change of air to prevent and ensure the timbers stay dry and do not rot. They are not there to enable water beneath a floor to evaporate. If you have water under your floor then a few vents will not help. You need to identify how water got in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back