Blocking up an old doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, and thanks for any help in advance.......

I'm looking to have a crack at blocking up an old door way at my house that we have never used and has just been wallpapered over by the previous owner!

I have had a look on here and other sites, and just wanted to see if I'm going in the right direction.....

I take it I remove all the previous parts, the door, the jamb thing and the previous frame on the inside, then put new wooden batons in around as a frame with new sections between it and attach plasterboard to it which can later be plastered over?!?

I know its clearly not as simple I have made out above and without a doubt I'll end up doing it wrong a couple of times, but wasn't sure if I was missing something out?

Thanks again......

Sponsored Links
Nope, you're missing nothing. Will you get the whole wall plastered (in which case set the plasterboard flush with the wall), or just plaster the old doorway - then set the plasterboard back slightly.

I'm getting the whole wall plastered (by someone who knows how to do it), as it's part of the front room/hallway which is all being re plastered!

Il fit the plasterboard flush to the wall then in that case!

Cheers!

Your doorway will be about 800 wide, and about 2m high, so you'll want a central vertical support, and a couple of cross struts. And putting some rockwool in to cut down noise is also a good idea; also best to use 12.5mm plasterboard rather than 9mm. Sorry if I'm being too obvious.

Sponsored Links
Nah that's cool, never taken on anything like this before, so all advice/tips appreciated normally I do the smashing stuff up part then get someone in to tidy it up part!

don't forget that there are two sides.

are you totally replastering both?

I assume this is already done, but worth noting in some older properties the blockwork rests on the top of the door frame without a lintel, in which case the top would need a piece of timber across it too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back