Blown Cavity Wall Insulation

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had cavity wall insulation installed today. It's the type where they drill the hole and blow it into the cavity. I have a few concerns........

1 - the contractor didn't seal the air bricks below floor level, but there's no sign of the insulation coming through. I would have expected to see something???

2 - it appears the cavity trays above the windows are quite high probably about 7 bricks above the windows and patio so consequently there are large voids at the front and rear of the house? Can anything be done about these voids, as due to the large windows there is hardly any insulation on these two walls

3 - as I wasn't entirely convinced that the job was 100% I have removed a brick to check what has been installed. It appears to be very fine mineral wool, thinner than what candy floss looks like. Should it look like this or should it be dense?

I told the contractors that I wasn't happy and they called their "surveyor" who is one of the contractors Dad and he's due down tomorrow to check the work and discuss my concerns.

I just wanted a bit more info or advice before they come back tomorrow.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1 - air bricks should be checked by poking a small rod through the holes to ensure they are clear- They only check that their fill has not blocked them .

2 I would assume they would inject above and below the cavity tray

3 that`s the right stuff ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back