blown sealed joints on kitchen after 10 days ; (

How much should it cost to replace two tops so I'm not getting my leg lifted.

I reccon £80 for the electrician, may be £100 for the plumber to take hob and sink and re-fit.

I'm going to get three quotes for all trades and take it to court if I have to, like I've said previously I've paid over 5k for a job that isn't fit for purpose.... It's just not right ; (

Sponsored Links
often you can unwind the legs a bit to give you clearance between top and splashback

Just for anyone who may have worries about their own choice of worktop.....
Maybe a year or so ago I replaced mine with Wilsonart Earthstone tops.
These are chipboard based with a 6mm thick layer of acrylic bonded on the top and front edge.
I don't have a large router or mitring template, so I asked a joiner to do that bit for me. It was the traditional internal mitre.
Its the joint that's particularly effective, being a two part adhesive/colouring/cementing compound that is squeezed into the join prior to being clamped up. This bit was down to me.
Once the compound has dried, it is orbitally sanded away (240 grit) and the resulting join is actually acrylic welded....absolutely invisible, 100% waterproof - the two separate worktops have effectively become one.
I had a couple of practice runs first...I drilled some 8mm holes in a scrap piece, filled and sanded and then did a 2mm saw slot in the same way. Again, the results were absolutely perfect - a revelation for me at least.
Personally I wouldn't consider any other process now.
John :)

Yes, amazing stuff. It scared the hell out of me the first time I used it but in fact it was no different to fitting a standard work top. Better actually because you can fix any damage. I would always recommend Easrthstone.

Did a bit of Googling last night and found that you are not alone in having problems with Howdens kitchens peeling surfaces and doors. Might be worth gathering some evidence if you intend to go down the court route.

Sponsored Links
This is a point worth bearing in mind, you may use varnish, you may use silicone, you may use colorfill, I personally use bushboard, however, none, when applied on site can guarantee the joint impervious to water penetration, so if you do saturate the joint in water then expect to blow.That being said if that joint has been sealed properly and not saturated then its delaminating imo , not if, when the worktops are taken out please be present then you can check if the joint is sealed properly.

If sealed properly the joint will not come apart, if it does then its a ****e job.

Hi,

What was the outcome of this please? I’m really curious as I have a similar problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back