Blue or Gold card

Sponsored Links
Interesting to read the qualifications needed. NVQ etc. But where do you stand if you served a five year apprenticeship and hold City & Guilds Final qualification in Carpentry and Joinery

Sponsored Links
If you have City and Guilds it doesn't count. They don't recognise the qualification. I know this because that's what they told me.

To get a card you have to commit to doing an NVQ. They will send someone out form the NHBC to "assess" your work and for the pleasure you get to pay them upwards of £800 for their "service"

****ing OUTRAGEOUS if you ask me.

A money making scam if ever there was one!!!!!

Ace, I totally agree. Without sounding too boastful, I have a Silver Medal for top marks in the country for my C & G final and this means that some kid who has an NVQ can supposedly show me how to cut a traditional hip roof or correctly hang a door.

a joiner i know got a gold card and he did his qualls 35 years ago so old city and guilds, he just sent off his papers and they sent the gold one

So there's a joiner working on site and everyone is happy.

Then some **** comes along and says you can't work here without a card.

So he sends in his papers ALONG WITH £30 and he can carry on working there.

What's changed? Did his work suddenly get better? No. He carries on working just the same except that he's £30 worse off and the people running the scam are £30 better off and will rip the poor **** off every couple of years

This is nothing short of a protection racket.

Just looked at the CSCS website and they proudly announce that 1,756,519 people have cards which they have issued at £30 a time.

That's a total of 52 million 695 thousand 570 pounds collected per issue and how many times have the same cards been issued over and again?

Just think about that number. Say the cards are renewed every three years that means they are collecting 17 million 565 thousand 190 pounds EVERY year.

Just think about those numbers for a while and you will come to the conclusion that they are laughing their ****** off

Interesting to read the qualifications needed. NVQ etc. But where do you stand if you served a five year apprenticeship and hold City & Guilds Final qualification in Carpentry and Joinery

I have the joinery gold card and have no NVQ.. I done a apprenticeship and city & guilds the same as you..
If you look on the original CSCS site(something like CSCS.co.uk) it states,

You may qualify for a gold skilled card if you have achieved an NVQ or SVQ level 3, or if you have completed an approved indentured apprenticeship (e.g.with NJCBI, BATJIC etc.) or an employer sponsored apprenticeship which included the achievement of a City and Guilds of London Institute Advanced Craft Certificate.

John...

I'd heard that the C&G aren't worth anything nowadays which is what I've got. Earlier this year I was working for a firm sub contracting to Corillion and at the induction we were asked if we all had the card. As it was non of the 4 of us on the induction did have a currant card and that included the site agent, so we just said that we did. This little "bending" of the truth was accepted and never picked up.
I was later laid off and approached the dole to see if I could get another card. As it had expired seven years previously I had to appeal but then it all went through. I sat the safety test and got every question right (it must be impossible to fail right?) , the dole paid and I duely recieved my gold card and haven't been asked to produce it since.
Definately a money making scam or maybe a tax by any other name.

...tis all a scam!!!!

we applied (and eventually got CHAS and Constructionline)

all staff had to get NVQ`s which was a complete joke - they even paid back costs including wages (staff made a fortune!!!)

the company paid out over £5k and got back precisely......

NO WORK!!!!!!

we did however note how these organisations seem to be cash generating subsiduarys of various London Councils.....

...yet another stealth tax in my opinion

I dont understand the history of any of this, imagine this scenario some guy's meet, one guy says ive thought of a really good idea to make pot's of cash we charge all buiders a £1000.oo to get on a building site, we give it a fancy name bung in some health and safety,then we laugh all the way to the bank
I could go on but I'll just get angry.

I dont understand the history of any of this, imagine this scenario some guy's meet, one guy says ive thought of a really good idea to make pot's of cash we charge all buiders a £1000.oo to get on a building site, we give it a fancy name bung in some health and safety,then we laugh all the way to the bank
I could go on but I'll just get angry.

....it`s worse than that, without a card you do not get on any site involving a government or local authority contract, most private contracts have also followed suit.

the cards mean nothing - no guarantee`s to quality just the ability to pass a very cursory inspection - they "help" their students to pass the NVQ then you automatically qualify for the card.

I can only comment on the flooring industry, but our fitters all went on holiday with the profit they made "training"

Sponsored Links
Back