Blue screen of death

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help?

I keep getting the dreaded Blue Screen of Death, with the Stop messages IRQ is less or equal.
This only seems to happen when encoding movies, using TMPEG, WinAVi, or VirtualDUB.
The corresponding codes it gives me on the stop screen have led me nowhere.
I am running;
AMD XP 2200
ATI Radeon 8500
512 mb Ram
Windows XP
70hb hardisk, 15gb free

I had no problems in the past and can't seem to find the root of the problem, or any significant time when I can remember it started happening. i.e. can't link it to any new software installs recently.

What is the best way of tackling this problem, I'm fairly conversant with the operating system and windows environment, have checked disk for errors, virus checked, spyware scanned, but still no joy.

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Can you give all the details of the BSOD? 10:1 it's the display driver.

The stop messages I get are as follows;

Ox000000D1
Ox00000000
Ox00000002
Ox00000000
Ox00000000

Sponsored Links
Really need the whole screen, that tells you what module is trapping, possibly something like ATI.sys

I think thats all it says, will get it to crash again in a few moments and post back

Are you by any chance encoding these movies with software to burn to CD. If so, that will be the cause. Can you give us a bit more info on the software you are using.

Merv

Many thanks for the replies

Think its sorted now
Have downloaded latest drivers and ATi catalyst control center for the graphics card, 8500 radeon, and touch wood it seems to have been running ok for the last 24 hours. Encoded a couple of movies overnight, and voila, no problems as of yet. I think the settings of the graphics card needed tweeking to suit my operating system, the software I downloaded seemed to optimise the settings for my computer. It could be that the graphics card is on its way out, and the software tweek could be a bit of a shortcut and covering an underlying problem with the graphics card, but we shall wait and see.

Once again, may thanks

Brad

Glad you're sorted. It is unlikely to be an issue again. The software you downloaded for the graphics card will have loaded the correct codecs and matched the software to the hardware. This kind of problem is common with generic codecs and software encoding ala the kind used by software developers who typically try to address all possible scenarios.

Cheers
Merv

Must confess, the long running blue screen of death came back to me after a month.
Found the problem to be with a corrupt pagefile on my system. Had to disable pagefile manually via registry editor, run error check on hard disk, which deleted corrupt pagefile, then reopen reg edit to make a new pagefile. Turning pagefile off via reg edit is also a very good way to completely defrag your hard disk, as I found out the pagefile is left out of the defrag process. Well, we all live and learn! Two weeks now and no problems touch wood!

As a precautionary measure, it might be a good idea to download the appropriate hard drive diagnostic tool from the manufacturers site and perform a scan. The tools will show the SMART status of the drive and will indicate if it is likely to fail soon. Here are some links to tools for the common brands, maxtor, Western Digital and seagate. Some manufacturers now offer an online scanning service.

Sponsored Links
Back