Bluetooth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have Bluetooth speaker system which I would like to connect to my tv, the only other way the speakers can be connected is by line out, (mini jack ) but my tv has no headphone socket, although it does have a USB port, I just wondered if it was possible to put a Bluetooth dongle in this and actually work.

Sponsored Links
What does the TV manual say? I would expect that the TV has software to support a USB storage device ("memory stick") but highly unlikely that it supports Bluetooth. But read the manual. It will tell you.

I have found an optical digital out, I presume that is of no use to connect to line in of speaker

If your TV has a SCART socket then check the manual to see if it can act as an output. If it's a fully wired SCART then it will do the trick.

Use a switched SCART to phono adapter:

scart_adapter_3rca_switch.gif

and add a phono to jack cable.

3.5mm-jack-phono-cable-1m.jpg

You'll need to turn the sound down on the TV and use the speaker dock control for volume.

Sponsored Links
Thanks !!!!, theres plenty of sockets at the back, all IN, the only out is the optical digital, and of course the scart sockets, which looks like I will have to use as your picture, I've been looking at a couple of soundbars, some have optical connection which would be fine, but another one has a jack in connection, and the one I would prefere actually as its a bit more powerfull, , you'd think they'd all have optical out these days,

You'd be surprised at the number of people that just can't get their head around the idea of turning the TV volume down and using the soundbar remote instead.

That's what you do with optical. The signal level is fixed and doesn't alter with the TV volume. A headphone jack is more likely to be variable and to automatically mute the TV speakers when a plug is inserted. That does make like a little easier even if the quality isn't as good.

However, I've seen a fair few TVs now where the headphone jack doesn't do those things. Instead, there's a buried sub menu which gives independent volume control. In other words, one still has to turn down the TV speakers and then there's the extra faff about drilling down to the sub menu each time you want to change volume. What a pain! Just make sure you check out how your own TV works before laying down your hard earned.

The other thing to say is about wattages. Unless the difference is huge; say 10W compared to 100W, then I'd take any manufacturer claim with a very large pinch of salt. This is especially the case where P.M.P.O. (Peak Music Power Output) is quoted. There are lots of ways to produce inflated power figures. Mostly it's hot air.

Wattage is a measure of work done. You can't get out more real world watts at the speakers than you put in at the mains. So have a look at the power consumption rather than the output wattage. If a device claims say 100W power output, but consumes only 40W max at the socket then the numbers don't add up. No piece of audio equipment is 100% efficient. When you start involving speakers and moving mass to produce sound waves then the efficiency takes a nose dive.

Blimey !!!!!!, sounds like I need a degree in astrophysics, n I only wanted to improve the sound on an led, as Tvs are getting thinner, the picture getting better, it's the sound which seems to be the downfall, one thing though, some of these soundbars come with a so called subwoofer built in, but they are only long thin bars, normally a sub is the size of a stereo speaker on its own, the reason I want one is that its more compact than the old 5.1 systems where you got wires everywhere.

Blimey !!!!!!, sounds like I need a degree in astrophysics,
Well, I suppose we could have given you only part of the info you need to make a proper decision....Or even just left you to find out the hard (and expensive-) way ;)

Manufacturers often over-egg products and lace them with superlatives... "Superb quality...." "Ideal for..." "Outstanding performance...." blah blah blah. The reality is often quite different. We've all heard the phrase "You can't polish a turd". To that I would add "but marketeers think it's okay to sprinkle it with glitter" :mrgreen:

You're quite correct about the subwoofer. Certain types of speaker technology has improved. But as engineer Scott from the Enterprise correctly said "Yer cannae change the Laws of Physics", and there is no substitute for cubes. Still, it doesn't stop them telling people what they want to hear in order to get any sale rather than speaking the truth.

I thought Chris's reply was very lucid. It's all very basic knowledge. However, if you are lacking some understanding, try this:

Errrrrrrr I was only joking !!!!!, I am very gratefull for Chris's input, anyway regarding a so called subwoofer in these bars, I would like a bit of bass when watching a film for effect but like Chris said you can't make a purse from a sows ear, but it would be interesting to try one, after all manufactures don't try to mislead its customers, ( and the popes Jewish )
http://www.satcure-focus.com/icetech/

and
http://www.The-Cool-Book-shop.co.uk/begin.htm[/QUOTE]

I would like the sound to come from my sky box n blue ray, so if I connect the optical lead into the rear of tv would all devices come through the sound bar or would it just come from tv tuner, as I'm not sure about the hdmi connections

Well be prepared to get out your slide rule and geeky glasses because it's another situation with multiple options..... Here we go!!

The answer for some of it is it all depends on your TV. But there are also bits where going via the TV won't work.

Most recent-ish TVs will pass digital stereo audio (PCM) and Dolby Digital (DD) from a HDMI input to the optical, so your Sky box is fine going via the TV.... except of course that the Sky box doesn't do DD over HDMI unless it's an Amstrad 890 or 895 with the latest firmware update.

Your Blu-ray player can play CDs in PCM stereo, so that's okay. It can play DVDs o
in Dolby Prologic (again PCM stereo, so okay), DVDs in Dolby Digital (okay), DVDs with DTS sound (probably not okay), Blu-ray films with Dolby True-HD down-converted to DD (okay), Blu-ray films with DTS MasterAudio down-converted to DTS (probably not okay), Blu-ray films in Dolby True-HD (not okay) and Blu-ray films in DTS MasterAudio (again, not okay).

Dolby True-HD and DTS MasterAudio are High Definition Audio formats. To get this sound in to your soundbar you'll need a direct connection via HDMI, and the soundbar will need to have the decoders built-in to handle these hi-def sound formats. They can't go via optical or coax in their raw (bitstream) versions because there's too much information for optical or coax to handle. There is another way. It's called multichannel PCM. But we are really starting to get a bit esoteric and beyond the scope of basic soundbars.

The greater proportion of TVs won't pass DTS audio from HDMI to optical either. That's a bit of a problem if your film has a DTS-MA sound track and no DD alternative. If there's an option in your player to down convert to basic PCM stereo then that'll be your solution. It might not make so much difference with a simple soundbar.

If Blu-ray films are important to you then I'd say you should definitely avoid going via the TV optical. Also, Sky is still predominantly DD over optical rather than HDMI.

lol. In Ug, me caveman language. Using the TV as a hub i.e. HDMI in to Optical out....

"Will it make the wiring neater?" Yes, probably

"Will I get the best out of my connected sources?" No, absolutely not.

"Will that really matter if I'm buying a piece of cheap-ass £99 crappola soundbar?" Probably not. It's going to sound better than your TV. But let's be honest. It'll still sound like a piece of junk no matter you do with the signal.

"I'm expecting this to sound as good as a proper surround system I had that cost more/the same/less [tick any or all that apply] and this will be the family's main music system too" Ha ha ha ha ha ....ah ha ha ha.... ha ha ha ha ha ha ..... ha ha ha... oh that's funny. Just a minute, let me catch my breath... Bwah ha ha ha

I had a full head of hair a few days ago, at least I will save on combs n barbers, !!!!!!! Lol,

I have narrowed it down to a
roch bar 1 system, I was looking at a few lgs but roch are dedicated speaker manufactures so are master of one trade, and they have a lot of good right ups and this model won't break the bank, I really can't believe that after looking at so many, some still go through a componant or headphone of tv, when optical is superior, now the really hard part, I have to convince the wife I need one, it'll prob cost me a few new shoes or handbag, ( for the wife I mean )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back