BMW 1 series on Ice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has just taken delivery of a New BMW 1 series. He was quite happy with it but the recent snow/icey conditions have made him change his mind.
The first drive in winter conditions and it was horrendous almost uncontrollable. I would have thought an outfit like BMW would have addressed this problem.
Anyone out there know of any possible solutions or even improvements to the serious problem???????
Urgent Help required Please.
His life could depend on it.

Sponsored Links
have you traveld with him to see if his driving style was correct for the conditions

Send him on a driving course?

I suppose I expected such a comment from someone like this.
This bad handling characteristic in slippery conditions is apparently a known problem with all BMW series and they are notoriously bad in such conditions. It is all to do with Rear wheel Drive or so BMW tell me.
In so far as Driving courses are concerned, he has 20 years driving experience and driven many types of cars in that time, and all his comment is, is that this BMW is the worst car he has ever driven for being uncontrollabkle in slippery conditions. So suggesting a driving course is not really very helpful. I was asking for something rather more constructive such as different shock absorbers or suspension modifications. Remember the Mercedes A Clas fiasco, which was resolved by suspension changes. Comparing handling characteristicas of different cars in similar driving conditions, the BMW fares badly. My next car will certainly not be a BMW.

Sponsored Links
My brother is a BMW "mastertechnician" and they regularly get smashed up BM's because people are not used to the rear wheel drive or they have splashed out on a powerful model and can't handle it, big bling wheels with low profile rubber don't help either.

All BMW technicians go on regular training courses about the cars and some of these include ones on skid pans, that way they can understand how the cars handle with & without the systems turned on, suggest your sone enrols on one. Does have its benifits, he clocked 160mph on rockinghams oval in a 6 series.

Also make sure he has the traction control systems turned on and in the correct mode.

Jason

Thay can be quite good on ice ;)

This bad handling characteristic in slippery conditions is apparently a known problem with all BMW series.

Driven correctly, BMW'S are one of the best handling cars on the road dry or wet.

The technique for driving a rear wheel drive car, is totally different to front wheel drive on wet/snow/ice.
I bet the majority of his driving has been front wheel drive.
He needs to practice.
Make sure tyre pressures are correct, and keep a full tank of petrol to add extra weight at the back, even put some weight in the boot, to keep the rear wheels well planted.

I lived in Munich for a period and it is compulsory (in Bavaria) to fit alternative tyres during the winter months. To simplify this it is best to have a second set of wheels fitted with said tyres. They have a higher profile, are made from a softer compund and can be used at a max speed of about 70mph. They are much 'stickier' and the difference is very noticeable when the weather deteriorates, especially so for rear wheel drive cars.

Thanks for all of your replies, at least the constructive ones.
I have been in touch with several BMW dealers and BMW HQ in the UK, and I get a similar response from the all, that being, "Yes, they are pretty bad arn't they". I have even had a comment from one BMW dealer that said that he never takes his out in adverse weather conditions, Another stated was that he always drives about 10 miles an hour slower than he would in a 'normal' car.
I find these comments amasing from BMW agents. I think that a special driving course to cope with what is basically a general public vehicle and not a performance car to be unacceptable practice. A BMW is purchased at a premium price and to then have to fork out more for a driving course to be able to drive it is unacceptable. Loading the boot full of sand bags seems to be the only practical solution albeit outrageous. Unfortunatly the car is on a three year lease and will have to be endured for that time but it's replacement will certainly not be a BMW.
Thanks again for your help everyone. But a BMW fan I am not.

Does his ASC + T kick in at all? It's worth taking it to BMW for a dignostic just to see if everything is working as it should. Furthermore the run flat continentals that BMW provide with the one have a stiff old sidewall, theres no give, so dropping the PSI to give a bit more grip doesn't help.

It's worth mentioning that tyres take 150 miles to wear down the compound used to stop them going off, this is a scrubbing off period. So if he's not covered these miles ( assuming the car is a band spanker)then it could be down to that.

BMW's are notoriously tail happy, BUT, if you know what you're doing you should be able to control what happens. This is what the traction control is trying to do for you, some BMW owners find it intrusive. I prefer a BMW with an LSD over Traction control, bit of opposite lock and easing off the throttle usually brings the tail back into line.

If he's used to FWD and moved to RWD it can take a while to get used to it.

I would say it's definately worth your son going on a skid pan day, or even better a track day. Just to push the car a little bit i controlled environment to get used to how it behaves. A good site for him to join is www.bmwowner.com. It's free and theres a few people over there with some good advice.

Apologies if this post comes over wrong, t trying to teach you how to suck eggs or be condescending.

Apologies if this post comes over wrong, t trying to teach you how to suck eggs or be condescending.

Not at all Karl, any constructive advice is welcomed.
I certainly was not aware of the 150 mile bedding in period, although in his case althought the car is brand new and only now a week old he has covered over 500 miles. He is to follow up the skid control course as this car is in his hands for three years unfortunatly, so on safety grounds he will get some profesional advice. I drive rear wheeled drive and don't have this sort of problem so me next car will certainly not be a BMW.
Thanks for the useful information.

Send him on a driving course?
So I was right?

Apparently- but I suspect for the wrong reasons.
Is it not ridiculous that a company such as BMW advocates a driving course to enable Joe Public to drive one of their cars safely. With handling characeristics like this they should be banned off the roads on Safety Considerations. The Mercedes A class was, and these BMW's deserve the same treatment. Maybe the Germans are having another go at us and are trying to Kill us all using new tactics.
It confirms my conclusion that BMW are a car to stay very clear off.

It would be wise to read the handbook. BMW have a very effective stability control system which is always 'on' unless the driver chooses to deactivate it. However, the driver can also choose an intermediate setting which improves traction in 'difficult' conditions. I've tried it and it does help.

Tyre choice is always going to be a compromise. What kind of tyres does it have? Some high performance tyres are simply unsuitable for snow and ice, but you can get snow socks which transform the grip. I've never tried them but I've been tempted.

For a few quid, two or three bags of sand over the rear axle also helps, and again this does work. Wickes is best, but B&Q will do :) . They're sealed so they're clean, and they're low profile so they don't intrude too much.

Thanks Blondini - The traction control was engaged but the intermediate setting is a new one for us - I suppose the advice 'If all else fails Read the instructions' Applies.
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Back