Boarding a small ceiling. Any tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning on putting up plasterboard in a small section in my kitchen which is 2280 x 2210 and the joists are fairly close together, approx 40cm.

I have ordered 2 sheets of 2400 x 1200 T/E and will screw in the boards to the joists. A plasterer will skim the joint. The 2 boards joined on the 2400 edge will cover the ceiling.

I assume the 2400 joint should run along the middle of a joist? I.e this would be the plasterboard running in the same direction as the joists?

I’ve attached a rough sketch to try and show what I mean.

Also, is there any other tips?

Thanks.
View media item 78629

Sponsored Links
yes mate, you are correct.

PB should run in same direction as joists.

Make sure 2 uncut sides sit side-by-side. trim PB at the walls

From previous experience, less than straight walls have caused endless misery.

Make sure the PB sits in the middle of the joist so both sheets have plenty of joist to be screwed into. Measure at different points as the sheet may not go on square

Also do not be stingy with the screws as once its up. its up.

May prove prudent to put insulation between floor and PB as now is perfect time to do it

Also if you need to get any electrical work done, now is a good time. eg downlights

Good luck with it

I personally would put them across the joists.That way you would know where the joists were, after you have fixed the first board But there is no problem doing it the way you are going to but you will have to mark where your joists are on the second board you put up,where as the way I would do it you could just transfer the lines across from the first board, And make sure the plasterer scrims the joint... ;)

yes mate, you are correct.

PB should run in same direction as joists.
Wrong. It is the complete opposite. The bound edges of the plasterboard should be at 90 degrees to the joists.

This is pretty basic stuff too FFS! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Just to clarify, the tapered edge which butts up to the other tapered edge will run at 90 degrees to the joist so some of the joint won't be supported by the joist.

Thanks. Just to clarify, the tapered edge which butts up to the other tapered edge will run at 90 degrees to the joist so some of the joint won't be supported by the joist.
Yes that is the correct way as noseall said but I don't think it will make much difference on a small cceiling like yours.. ;)

Sorry I have one last question! The roof above is a flat roof and the insulation is stuffed between the joists. I have bought normal plasterboard, should I have bought special insulated boards or as it is only 5 sq MTR is it going to make no difference?

Sorry I have one last question! The roof above is a flat roof and the insulation is stuffed between the joists. I have bought normal plasterboard, should I have bought special insulated boards or as it is only 5 sq MTR is it going to make no difference?

I'm sure if you have insulation in there already, then you'll be fine with the normal boards.
If interested and you want to see the difference theoretically, look at estimating what sort of heat flow is likely with the depth/type of insulation you have and combine with normal board vs insulated. U values, R values etc.

Is the roof space vented?

I'm not too sure what this means but it was built in the late sixties so I don't think so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back