Boarding our garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just moved into a new house with a garage and am looking to board out the garage roof.

Not exactly a DIY expert so am looking for help and advice.

The garage spans 6m front to back and joist width is 600.

My question is what's the best way to do this and realistically how much stuff could I put up there. If you had not guessed already I am clueless when it comes to this type of thing.

I was advised earlier at a timber yard it's not designed to put stuff up there and the weight load on the 6m joists my be too much.

Worked out I would need 13 x chip boards at 2.4m by 600

Pictures included to help those that know understand what I have.

//www.diynot.com/network/Fulls1982/albums/

Thanks in advance

Ben

Sponsored Links
you were advised correctly, The trusses are not designed to take the type of weight you require. Remember is not just what you store it's the board weight too.

However if you were desperate it would be no hardship to add some joists independant of your trussed roof ..

Cheers for the response.

Not as simple as I first hoped then. Wish i had read your reply before i bought the loft boards :) So I'd be looking at additional front to back 6m lengths to take the new load? Reducing the gaps to 300

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back