Boiler at Risk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi – this isn’t really a DIY question because I’m not qualified to carry out any work on my boiler, but I hoped for a little bit of advice.

We had our boiler serviced last week by our gas company – it was their initial inspection after we signed up for their boiler cover.

They slapped an at risk sticker on it because they say the CO2 readings are way too high. Fair enough, it is ancient (Potterton Flamingo II). They suggested that I should buy one of their carbon monoxide monitors as it’s a potential danger to me and my family, should the flue ever get blocked. They also suggested that I should buy a new boiler and arranged for a sales person to come round on Friday.

So, a few questions:

- I’m no expert, but I don’t think a carbon monoxide monitor would monitor CO2? (I’ll buy one anyway, but still...)?
- Wouldn’t any boiler (old or new) be a hazard if the flue got blocked?
- The sales-person who came round on Friday told me I’d need to get the pipe-work that runs from the boiler to the HW cylinder upgraded from 22mm to 28mm – does this sound right?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You or the engineer may have been confused by CO and CO2.

The BG engineers gets commission of about £25 for arranging a quotation.

You do not need anything larger than 22 mm to heat the cylinder.

Why on earth dont you trust an independent ? We are less likely to cut you off as we dont get commission like BG etc..

Tony

Thanks a lot. Even the paperwork report that they posted says "CO2". Like I said, I'll get a CO monitor anyway for safety's sake.

I definitely wouldn't buy a boiler from BG (or any of the other companies) - they're much more expensive (I discovered when I replaced the boiler in my last house). I suppose they have to pay for expensive TV ads etc.

Thanks again for your help.

They have to make a profit for their shareholders!

Sponsored Links
You say he "serviced" the boiler, did his include the use of anything other than his flue analyser?

If he actually serviced properly the chances of excessive co or co2 would be rare from my experience

That's a good point - it was an inspection rather than a service. They inspect the boiler to check that they're happy to provide the boiler cover - I suppose they don't want to cover a boiler that'll be breaking down all the time.

Solution- get the boiler serviced

A co alarm is never a bad idea though

Is it open flued or balanced flue version?

Also if you don't mind me asking how much have they quoted you
For cover. There are very few parts on this boiler and it should be fairly cheap to maintain

As above, also

The salesmen are just that and I know a couple personally, I could write on the back of a matchbox what they actually know about central heating.

He may have been upgrading the pipe work depending on the size of your property in order to put the pump/28 mm controls in your airing cupboard.

I would get an independent engineer around to service the boiler and get him to give you an appraisal of the system

And if you feel the independent knows what he is doing then scrub the BG cover!

Part of the servicing is to set the CO² and measure the CO.

I didn't think they would cover it anyway if it's over 10 yrs old ?

Yea ggry will take cover for anything. But when if breaks and the computer says parts are obsolete they won't repair it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back