Boiler buddy or Magnaclean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
just ordered a Worcester CDi30, and before installation I have a few quesitons:

1. Which is better - Fernox boiler-buddy or Magnaclean?

2. Do I need a limescale inhibitor (I live in London)? According to Worcester-Bosch:

"As the maximum temperature of the domestic hot water heat exchanger is limited by the electronic control circuit, there is normally no need for water treatment to prevent scale accumulation.

In areas where exceptional water conditions prevail, consideration may need to be given to the fitting of a device capable of preventing scale. In such circumstances the advice of the local water authority should be sought."

Any help welcome,

Many thanks,
garcia.

Sponsored Links
I would like to know what the thoughts on this question are !! any takers

I prefer the boiler buddy

easier to clean

other than that they are about the same

Sponsored Links
both are as good as each other
the boiler buddy is easier to install and clean but i have my concerns about its lifespan in comparison to the magnaclean.

I use both, have no preference. It really depends on position and circumstances and which one is on the van.

I pay a tiny bit less for manganclean but there's nothing in it.

The other day I went round to a magnaclean to clean it and the build up was gynormous, I shudder to think what damage it would have done to the domestic plate heat exchanger etc.

Magnaclean for me. Don't bother with an in line scale reducer as they don't work. Down here in Sussex the water is very hard and i've never fitted any such device on any of the Alphas i've fitted. Alpha say you don't need one and guarantee the plate exchanger for six years. Apart from what WB say plate exchangers expand and contract alot more than the old HE's and thus any sclale that does form tends to break away before it becomes a problem.

good point about Sussex, Hard water but no-one wants a softener :confused: not seen one in 35 years(domestic that is ) :eek:

Sussex wun be druv!
We like our scale we do - stops yer joints dripping and yer pinholes breaking through!
Good dose of scale settles yer guts proper after noit on toils too :LOL:

Sorry to be a thicko chaps but reading the posts regarding the magnaclean does it protect againest scale on the domestic water side even though it is in the return on the heating !! thanks in advance

1. Which is better - Fernox boiler-buddy or Magnaclean?

None in it if you want to spend you money on one!!!
If the system new, if you inhibit it correctly then you won't need one,
If the system old or sludging up then get it powerflushed® out and the inhibit it correctly (then you wont need one)

2. Do I need a limescale inhibitor (I live in London)? According to Worcester-Bosch:

YES if you have any combi with a plate heat exchanger.
Limescale inhibitor in you CH system can stop the plate heat exchangers blocking up on a regular basis.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back