Boiler compliance issue with buying new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of buying a house and an issue has come to light I'm hoping someone could advise me on. It's a bungalow extended into the roof in 2007 for which the planning permission, etc, all seems to be in order. However, the guy selling the house installed a new boiler himself at the time, but did not inform Corgi/Gas safe therefore they, in turn, did not inform the Local Authority to get a compliance certificate and so was not registered with local planning. This was picked up by my solicitor when they asked for copies of the paperwork. I'm told the seller/installer is gas safe registered and was given his Company gas safe number and by the fact it's been running for 4 years or so, it's probably OK. Apparently he has the Benchmark certificate, just not the compliance certificate.

I spoke to the council planning about it and they suggested it just needed to be registered with Gas safe. However, would it be an issue without Local authority registration in future? As I understand, it could be sorted out retrospectively for about £250 if necessary with the council. Can anyone advise as all I seem to be getting at the moment is that the installer didn't follow the correct procedures which I am aware of anyway!

Thanks, James.

Sponsored Links
If he was indeed Gas Safe registered, then it could be worse...

Get him to pay for an RGI of your choice to go round and inspect the installation and get the seller to register the boiler installation as far back as he can - I think you can do it for 12 months.

The dates won't match ,but how much ball ache do you really want?

Wouldn't worry I bet 50% of the houses don't have one.
It's just your solicitor being picky.

Sponsored Links
Its not a matter of something being wrong with the installation. Its a question of the installer failing to notify Building Control of the installation of a controlled appliance. Non compliance with building controls can carry significant fines!

You could ask Gas Safe what can be done to solve the problem!

If he is an employed RGI then he would not normally have the ability to notify them of the installation of the boiler in his own home.

You could ask him to notify the local Building Control ! They might just acccept that or accept it with a fee of perhaps £130.

Tony

It's the seller's responsibility to sort this out! If he has to shell out £250, that's his problem, not yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back