Boiler dead after power surge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had a power surge (or some event) after the road was dug up to fix an issue.

No fuses tripped but everything that was on standby that was powered by a transformer (phones, modem, alarm clocks, router) broke. Replacing the transformers has fixed these appliances.

The problem is, the boiler also stopped working.

The external programmer (Drayton LP241) was unaffected, but there is no response from the boiler. It's a Viessmann Vitodens 100 type WB1A (gravity fed water tank).

There is mains voltage getting to the boiler controller board and the fuse is good. I've measured voltage on the other side of the fuse as well as checking its continuity.

There seems to be no power getting to part of the controller on the very front, with the LCD. Nothing I do can get the LCD to light, so the boiler does not power up.

Could it be anything other than a dead controller unit?

(Obviously there's the issue that the electricity distributor should not have broken everything, in my house and others, but l just want to get the boiler working before worrying about that)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I once went to a boiler under the warrantee which had been powered across two phases ( 415v ) instead of 230v. The electricity supply in the building was being split for each flat and the contractor had made a mistake! In that case the pcb surge protection blew the fuses and the VDR disintegrated as well.

In your case you should be blaming the power company immediately and getting it professionally fixed and send them the bill. Call them first and speak to a responsible person who gives his full name not just "David" as they are totally irresponsible and untraceable. Ask them for a Works Order or Purchase Order number or faxed document.

You are unlikely to be paid for a DIY repair as thats more or less illegal if unqualified. I do hope you also measured the voltage between neutral and earth?

Viessmann have their own service agents who have most of the spares. There are also approved installers listed on their web site. Most of them only install boilers but a few like me will repair them as well.

Tony

All the electronics are on the pcb, which is almosr certainly dead. You need the complete boiler serial number to identify which is the right pcb - there are different ones on different versions of this boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back