boiler fires up and then cuts out after 3minutes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have seperate heating and water boilers- the heating boiler is an Ideal Classic FF230 and the pump for it is a Grundfos ups 15-50. If i turn the heating on the boiler fires up for a few minutes and then cuts out. it will not fire up again unless i switch it off and leave it for a while but i have the same result again,fires up and then cuts out.
i felt the pump which seemed VERY hot and was wondering if the pump could be to blame for this. i tried turning the shaft with a screw driver and it seems fine,also the the timer seems to work ok.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the pump, when you say you turned the shaft was that with the system turned on?.
When you remove the chrome screw in the centre of the pump with the system on it should be spinning if not remove the black cover where the 3 speed control is and check for live on the brown wire beware 240volts if live but not spinning you need a new pump.

thanks for that cowley. the pump was switched off when i tried to move the spindle. i will check the voltage as per your instructions and post the result. thanks again

Get a screw driver in the top and turn the spindle it may just start up again. it would only be a temp fix however as it will jam again in the future.

Sponsored Links
ok-fitted new pump,same model as previuos, and now the upstairs radiators are hot but the down stairs ones are cold and the new pump seems noisier than the old although we have heating now,to an extent,so the pump was to blame but why the extra noise and cold rads?

ok,i seem to have cured the problem,i hope!
read somewhere on this site about trapped air around the pump,so i removed the centre screw and replaced it to remove any air and turned off the upstairs rads leaving the downstairs rads on and this cured the noisy pump and cold rads downstairs. Thanks to Cowley and Super... for their help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back