Boiler fires up for no reason

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody

Out of the blue, our Worcester boiler started firing up, and now the central heating keeps running without prompting from the wireless thermostat. We have a standard RC Plus from British Gas, and a WR1 receiver.

Any idea how we get get the boiler back to normal?

Many thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for your quick reply Tony!!

Yes, it is a combination boiler. We have a Worcester Greenstar 28i Junior. We have the Eco mode selected. I believe this means the boiler isn't on preheat.

To stop the radiators warming up, I have now switched off the heating. Hot water works nicely.

Timo

Got any indications on the blue light?

Flashing or anything?

When the Eco mode is illuminated, this cancels the default pre-heat setting, so it cannot be the DHW pre-heat kicking in.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for your reply Teatime!!

The blue "boiler on" light is on, but no flashing. Also no flashing on the receiver. Regardless of the thermostat's temperature setting the boiler fires up, with no indication on the receiver that the boiler was prompted by the wireless thermostat.

Timo

if there is no green light on at the receiver, eco green light is on, and no tap running, it shouldn't fire up.

do you have a frost stat?
this could be the only other thing that would override everything and allow the boiler to fire up.

If u have a Worcester an RC plus and wr1

Don't u have a Bg contract.

The wr1s can be flaky relays can stick open or closed. So regardless of what the lights on wr1 are showing it could've doing something else

Does the wr1 have blue Bg writing or grey

Many thanks for the additional messages!

The writing on the WR1 is grey.

Does anybody have an idea why the boiler might run the central heating without prompting from the thermostat? When the boiler runs, the thermostat doesn't show the "fire up" sign. So I assume that means the boiler isn't receiving "instructions" from the thermostat.

Does this suggest that the problem comes from the receiver? When switched on, the boiler starts firing up right away.The hot water run normally.

Many thanks!!

Re frost stat, I am not sure about this one. The water temperature regulation on the boiler has the frost sign.

But current temperatures shouldn't make the boiler worry about frost, right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back