Boiler flue advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father is fitting my condensing combi boiler up to but not including the final gas and water pipes. He is a retired heating engineer of 30 years and previously corgi registered but wants to be sure on flue position and recent reg changes. Its natural exit is just above a single storey rear extension from the kitchen and is too close to the sloping roof as the regs state it needs to be more than 30cm away. In the pictures below I have tried to capture where the flue will naturally exit above some old render on the flashing and the point at which it meets the 30cm rule. it's more than one metre away from the opening window above but a fair bit closer to the window below. 1- What would you say is the best course of action? 2 - Could it be simply exit the wall, 90 degree to the side and exit there or is there issues with walkways? 3 - As my house is very small, approx 10-11ft wide terrace will this also be infringing boundary rule regs?

There has never been a boiler at this property but the only practical place for this to be is on this wall.

We were intending to have the work checked and commissioned later but may have to change that if there is no clear solution.

Thanks for any assistance in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Looking at the pics, there is a very simple fix for this. If your father is ex corgi then surely he will know what to do

You obviously already have the boiler so read the manufacturers instructions, they over ride what anyone else says about the position of the flue.

Sponsored Links
A gas safe engineer will be checking the system, doing the final connections and registering the boiler.

As I say, he has been retired for over ten years and it seems boundary regs etc have tightened (or widened as the case may be).

We do have the boiler and the manual has all of the guidelines on distances from openings and roofs etcetera but doesn't seem clear on what would be best for the flue terminal.

We do have the boiler and the manual has all of the guidelines on distances from openings and roofs etcetera.

Then why are you asking the question?

If you are worried about the boundry then all the info should be in the manual! If it isn't then call the manufacturer.

Or even better, why don't you ask the so called gas safe registered engineer that is going to commission the system??????

If my house is barely metres across then it will always be within the 2.5m of a neighbours boundary?

Dear oh dear, it's like walking in to an animal testing march wearing a fake fur coat and trying to convince everyone it's not real before they rip your head off. Not everybody is trying to endanger themselves and others with dubious gas installations, I just didn't want to wait 2 weeks until the engineer gets back from his holidays.

Because it's obvious you're trying to install your own boiler and can't interpret the instructions. If the people you claim are involved actually existed, it's inconceivable they'd be unable to read and understand the manual, hence you wouldn't need to post here.

Maybe it seems obvious. It isn't the case, the house will be sold when it's finished so all aspects will be certified appropriately. I understand the responses but as we've reached an impasse we'll leave the matter there. Unless I return with the certification but I rather doubt there'd be any interest.

Flue termination positions are clearly displayed in every manufacturer's instruction manual. It came in the box with your boiler, It can be downloaded if you've lost it. We don't even know what boiler you've got, you do. You've been advised, that book overrides anything anybody can tell you. If that's not in a nutshell, I don't know what is.

The forum doesn't permit DIY gas installation advice anyway. Personally I don't care if you DIY it. The gas industry's been ****** for years, yours won't make a difference.

I can't understand why people have to fabricate RGI's to get advice, claiming they can't reach them to ask etc etc. That one's been done to death on this forum.

That's why I agree it is the correct forum response as nothing differentiates me from any other blagger. It doesn't make sense to me why I'd need to adhere to regs if I was installing a dodgy boiler but anyway. Thanks for your replies.

It doesn't make sense to me why I'd need to adhere to regs if I was installing a dodgy boiler but anyway.

Then that's even more reason to consult the detailed and legally binding document the manufacturer has included with your boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back