boiler flue in possible breach (moved from Trade Talk)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a housing association property, purpose built 1950's red brick flats with a neighbour adjacent and shared entry/balcony leading to each property's front door. The front of the properties is where the boilers are situated (within the kitchens) so that the flue comes out from the kitchens and hangs over the balcony, the condensation drips into the car park/foot path below.

I've read the combi boiler flue regs, maybe I'm not understanding it but I think my neighbour has had their flue installed incorrectly which might be why my kitchen and front of property can stink like gas (I'm calling out BG because of the smell).

Their flue is a approx 10 centimetres from my extractor fan (kitchen fan), approximately 750 from my window and approx 140mm from my boiler flue. I'm concerned with its placement in terms of fumes and safety. It does have a cover that diverts the fumes and condensation away from the properties, horizontal to mine, over the balcony.

They moved their kitchen with boiler from one side of their flat to beside my bedroom and kitchen. I've stopped using my extractor fan because of the noise and stink of gas coming from their kitchen (can hear every word they say, but a separate issue), I leave the kitchen window open instead. Their flue is on my property wall, but I don't care about that.

There's a load of other concerns with the work they've carried out other than gas safety. But the gas is my biggest concern. I don't think anything they've done is above board or legal, possibly compromising the building's structure. Tried talking with them about a few things but unfriendly is an understatement. I've contacted the housing association and planning department within the council but each say it's the other's problem. You'd think housing associations would want to protect their investments (property).

Any of your clever chaps have advice? Or know if this sounds like legit work has been carried out for the flue?

Sponsored Links
If you smell gas then call 0800 111 999

That is the emergency number for National Grid, the company who bring gas to your flat. While stricly speaking they are not responsible for ensuring boilers are installed properly they do have the power to shut down installations which present a danger to people.

British Gas only sell the gas to you via National Grids pipes.

Have reported it. They're sending someone out. Thanks. I guess we'll see if anything happens. cant believe any qualified workmen would do a half job.

Sponsored Links
I suspect you'll find the installation is correct, but that doesn't mean to say it's not causing you a nuisance, and environmental health department might be the best person to speak to - although the housing association have an obligation to get involved as well.

Your extractor fan pushes stale air out of your kitchen, so isn't an issue, and may even help push their exhaust gasses away from you're place - test this out - but if it pushes smells out, then fresh air is getting pulled back in from somewhere, so do you have a window open near where their flue is.

The "gas" smell that you mention, is actually the waste gas from their boiler, and is just a burnt gas smell, not gas itself.

A flue has an inner and outer part to it, with the inner hole pushing out the burnt gas, and the outer hole taking in fresh air for the boiler to burn; now if the wind is blowing their exhaust gasses in towards you're flue, then you're boiler wouldn't burn properly, but as boilers are sealed units, nothing would (or should) be coming into you're flat.

Your extractor fan pushes stale air out of your kitchen, so isn't an issue, and may even help push their exhaust gasses away from you're place - test this out - but if it pushes smells out, then fresh air is getting pulled back in from somewhere, so do you have a window open near where their flue is.

Bad advice, it's an opening into the building so it very much is an issue.

Have asked for this to be moved to plumbing forum.
You say their flue is 100 mm from your fan and 140 mm from your flue, both too close but where does that leave your flue from your fan?
It does have a cover that diverts the fumes and condensation away from the properties, horizontal to mine, over the balcony.
pics?

Its a plume diverter ensuring the flue gases are discharged a long way from the property.

Its a plume diverter ensuring the flue gases are discharged a long way from the property.

It sounds like an elongated flue to clear an overhead balcony but there's no point speculating when he's going to post some pics.

It used to be called VTK but they always had the same disclaimer as other manus.

Mind you I haven't fitted one in about 5 years :LOL::LOL::LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back