Boiler flue through conservatory roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, we are thinking of buying a house with scope for a conservatory on the back, however, the boiler flue comes out of the wall and would be inside the proposed conservatory.

I've searched a lot tonight but can't find a definate answer.....

Assuming my boiler allows the flue length that will be required, can i run the flue out through the kitchen wall and then vertically up and out of the conservatory? How is it made watertight?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
in all likelihood no.

i guessing it will be a fan flue boiler. from the sounds of it you want to take a 90degree from the top of the boiler, though the wall then another 90 degree to take it though the conservatory roof.

most(90%) don't let you have two 90 degree elbows on a vertically flue. you will need the make and model of the boiler to check to make sure from the MI

but looks unlikely

mehran

mehran said:
most(90%) don't let you have two 90 degree elbows on a vertically flue. you will need the make and model of the boiler to check to make sure from the MImehran

Never heard of this, as long as you allow 1M for each 90D bend and keep within the maximum allowed distance I can't see the problem :confused:

gas4 said:
Never heard of this, as long as you allow 1M for each 90D bend and keep within the maximum allowed distance I can't see the problem :confused:

Most boilers only allow for an initial short section of vertical flue. Worcester do a 2oo mm adaptor but thats about it.
Horizontal flues are allowed up to 2975 mm.

Sponsored Links
Liamcaswell, it would be helpful if you could tell us what boiler is fitted in the house.

You also have to consider the proposed flue termination point in relation to windows, openings, etc.

It's hopeles speculating we must know boiler to advise.

It could be sealed with a lead slate, that's one way. There would have to be a heatshield to line combustible material which it might have to pass through.

If it's a small kitchen you are adding conservatory to, there are implications for a gas cooker also.

gas4you said:

i alway take it as if the MI don't show it, it is not allowed. i have only ever seen one make showing two elbows on a vertical flue on a single flue and that was buderus.

i think the makers are worried about pooling if horizontal part has a dip in it.

as Paul says, no point unless you know the boiler

I did the same thing on my old house, put a conservatory on the back of the properety.

I moved the boiler into the conservatory and put a box around it. But my conservatory was mainly brick. :LOL:

Regards

Mike MS

Hi everyone,

It is a Biasi Riva Compact HE. I don't know if it is the 24 or 28.

Can it be done?

Also, does this boiler allow a horizontal flue from the back rather as well as the top? Would this mean it only needs one right angle on the outside wall to take it vertical for the 1 metre climb through the conservatory roof?

Thanks

The vertical flue kit for this boiler is based on a 80/125mm flue size allowing a longer equivalent lenght. I would imagine your proposed solution of incorporating 2 x 90 degree bends is feasable but check with Biasi.

You could also consider individual air and flue ducts allowing more flexibility.

Avoid going through the roof if you can - bound to be problems supporting the flue and stoping the rain leaking in.

If you take it vertical the terminal has to be 600mm away from the wall

Nobody has told him he has to have a special vertical flue terminal!

He was thinking he could just turn the horizontal flue upwards !!!

I assume there is little space beside the conservatory?

Its sometimes possible to take the flue horizontally all the way through the conservatory. I assume its an M96 and the maximum effective flue length will be 2.7m

One solution is to take the flue up vertically inside the house and then out above the roof of the conservatory. I dont see any reason why it should not be possible to take it upwards for a bit more than 0.5 m

As always my advice would be to get any flue work done by a competent CORGI engineer who can advise what possible.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back