Boiler in shed dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Saunier Duval f30 thermo classic is installed in the shed about 5 metres from the kitchen. The pipe work (central heating, hot, cold, gas etc) is boxed in as it goes from shed. through the garden and into the kithcen. Pipes have never frozen thankfully. Dont ask me why, but the previous owner placed the boiler in the shed.

Now i'm going to drain down the system and clean with Sentinel 400. However i have no idea if the system currently has any anti-freeze treatment in it. How can i tell if it does? When i do eventually put inhibitor back in (in about 4 weeks time) should i use an anti-freeze treatment or would a standard Sentinel Inhibitor be ok?

Sponsored Links
If the boiler installation has a frost stat, that should fire the boiler outside the programmed times when the temperature drops below about 4 or 5 degrees. That should be enough to keep everything from freezing.

Frost stat will not work in a power cut! Get some antifreeze in the boiler.

Last winter I saw a cracked boiler due to freezing... they ran out of oil and tanker couldnt get up the hill due to ice!

Sponsored Links
My Saunier Duval f30 thermo classic is installed in the shed about 5 metres from the kitchen. The pipe work (central heating, hot, cold, gas etc) is boxed in as it goes from shed. through the garden and into the kithcen. Pipes have never frozen thankfully. Dont ask me why, but the previous owner placed the boiler in the shed.

Now i'm going to drain down the system and clean with Sentinel 400. However i have no idea if the system currently has any anti-freeze treatment in it. How can i tell if it does? When i do eventually put inhibitor back in (in about 4 weeks time) should i use an anti-freeze treatment or would a standard Sentinel Inhibitor be ok?

I found the anti-freeze messed up pump glands and odd washers. I always overdosed with inhibitor when using anti-freeze.

Yes definitely put it in, leakydave is 100% right and particularly if you are living in an exposed or rural area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back