Boiler moved by a guy that isn't Gas Safe registered.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The guy that fitted our windows recommended an "experienced engineer" to move our boiler. We ask if he was 'Gas Safe' and were told he was.

We got several quotes (including people with obvious registration) and he was the cheapest. We're on a budget, so went with him.

He came around, in a plain white van, and moved our boiler. He was an older gentleman and appeared to know his stuff. We asked if he was registered and he said yes. He didn't offer ID, nor did we ask. :oops:

When our electrician came around he raised concerns about him, mainly as he looked like a 'man with a van'. Again, we asked him if he was registered and he got a little shirty. Assertively telling us, 'I should bloody well hope so. I've been doing the job long enough!' This set alarm bells rining. We pushed him a little further and got nowhere. We now think he isn't registered. :mad:

Everything looks ok (but then, what do I know?) and the hot water & heating work; but he didn't use any test equipment on the installation.

Should I worry? Should I pay for someone that is registered to check the work? (I think I already know the answer.)

Sponsored Links
Too late. He's been and gone. :oops: Would a Gas Safe registered installer provide a certificate? I can call him and ask for one, see what he says. Although, it's all my word against his at the moment. He'd just say I knew he wasn't registered and he was doing it on the cheap at my request.

The guy wasn't registered. If he was he would just give you the details.

IF you have his contact details call Gas Safe tomorrow.

Nothing will happen to you legally speaking. He broke the law and can't justify it with excuses such as this.

Sponsored Links
Although, it's all my word against his at the moment. He'd just say I knew he wasn't registered and he was doing it on the cheap at my request.
He's either registered or he isn't. If he isn't he is breaking the law and may have put you, and your neighbours, at serious risk. Call Gas Safe urgently as Dan suggests.

The fact is that you dont know if he is registered or not!

Do you know even his proper name?

Do you know his address?

Did he give you a business card?

Its frightening to me how so many people will let people they dont know into their homes and pay them for doing some work.

Using the Gas Safe " find an engineer " you can see if he is registered and look at his photo if he is.

If searching a reasonable distance does not find him then do you have enough evidence apart from a pay as you go mobile number to identify him?

You can ask Gas safe to come and inspect the installation, thats free.

Tony

my van has no gas safe logo, i love how other trades and even other RGI's will raise "concerns" about a person, makes them look better and more conscientious obviously.

Me neither; but I don't get the hump if I am asked if I am registered, and although I never carry my ice scraper with me my mugshot is on the website.

Interestingly though you can apparently asked to have it removed.

The fact is that you dont know if he is registered or not!
You're right, I don't. Other than the fact he refused an invitation to show that he is. And as has been said before, a registered person (in any field) would welcome the chance to prove their worth.

Do you know even his proper name?
I have the name given to me by another tradesman, by which he responded to on every occasion.

Do you know his address?
No.

Did he give you a business card?
No.

Its frightening to me how so many people will let people they dont know into their homes and pay them for doing some work.
Registered or not, I'm letting complete strangers into my home and giving them £££. I went by a recommendation, which is often a suggested way of doing things.

Using the Gas Safe " find an engineer " you can see if he is registered and look at his photo if he is.

If searching a reasonable distance does not find him then do you have enough evidence apart from a pay as you go mobile number to identify him?
I will get on to this.

You can ask Gas safe to come and inspect the installation, thats free.
Looking at their website, this appears to be offered only to customers of registered engineers so that they can check their work.

so what you are saying is that they will only inspect the work of registered engineers.

ha

ha

ha.

I wouldn't be surprised :LOL:

OP - give them a call and explain the situation and that you are worried.

They should organise something.

If they don't let us know. We pay GS a lot of money every year to police the industry. If they don't pursue an illegal installer we have a right to know.

so what you are saying is that they will only inspect the work of registered engineers.

ha

ha

ha.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help/nominate_work_for_inspection.aspx

We inspect gas work undertaken to ensure that registered businesses continue to work in accordance with manufacturer's instructions and industry standards. To help us do this, we ask you to nominate any gas work you have had completed in the last six months for a free gas safety inspection.

We will select work for inspection from the nominations submitted and if your property is selected we will contact you within six months to arrange a site visit. Unfortunately we cannot inspect every installation and therefore advise that your property may not be selected for inspection and you may not be contacted.

Please note, if your installation is nominated for an inspection, the business that completed the gas work will be advised of the site visit and will be given the option to attend. After the inspection you will be given a report of the gas work completed.

If you need to make a complaint about recent gas work you have had done then find out more about making a complaint

If you have had gas work completed in the last six months and would like us to consider your property for inspection please click the button below to submit your nomination

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help/report_an_illegal_gas_engineer.aspx

To help us investigate, you will need to give us as many details about the illegal gas worker as you can;

the illegal gas worker's name
the company name
a description of your encounter with the illegal gas worker
Giving your contact details is optional, but it can often be useful when we investigate your report. We will keep your details confidential and only the people investigating the report will see this information.

The information you give us will be sent to our Investigations Team who will review the case and take the appropriate action. Where possible, they will contact the householder to inspect any work the illegal gas worker may have carried out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back