Boiler or programmer fault-or not ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As an update to an earlier post last week-Glowworm space saver boiler/Honeywell programer,the system has now been left alone(!) for a few days and on the whole working better than before,i'm still convinced something just aint right somewhere-can the HW tank stat overide the CH stat-perhaps if the programmer was faulty?,is there anyway to check the boiler's own thermostat other than a continuity check as stated in the manual??-as this contols the gas burner and would be a likely candidate for the boiler probs we got...or am i barking up the wrong tree here??

Sponsored Links
The cyl stat can override the room stat if the system is a W plan otherwise they should work independently of one another.
It sounds to me as though there is muck in the system, which may be causing the short boiler running time. when you used the cleaner did you do it as per the MIs?
and it is rather confusing when you start a new thread on the same problem

Thanks for your reply mick,yes i suspected sludge given its an old sytem/microbore etc and yes it was cleaned n flushed through-it was during changing the pump i had a look at the 3 way valve and found it was jammed,upon checking the system briefly yesteday i did discover the lever on the new valve now has no resistance-as if its detached itself inside the solanoid housing-might be worth further investigation...sorry for sounding stupid-W plan system?-whats the differance please-sorry i'm still on a bit of a learning curve here,i've encountered 2 sorts of ch systems barring combi's-those with one 3 way and those with 2-Y plan??.also could i ask you whats heat transfer paste?-according to a link i found yesterday it should be coating the sensor on the boiler stat otherwise it will not function correctly-again i ask as this one is very dry-can this make a differance?,i was thinking that this was the possible cause of the problems as its linked direct to the gas valve--incidentally turning up the room stat to max does not have any effect-boiler not lighting-hence the reason i was suspecting tank stat or controller issue,again sorry to ask so many questions but i'm still in the learning stage.

first things first, get the system cleaned, whether you do it yourself or get a pro in, If you do it make sure you follow instructions that come with cleaner.
The loose lever is due to the CH being on and the motor having kicked - not a fault.
W plan is where a system was put in with a three port valve but it would not run HW and CH at the same time and was usually set as HW priority.
Heat transfer paste is like a type of grease that is used to ensure the heat is transfered from one medium to another. If the stat is linked directly into the gas valve I would imagine it's an overheat 'stat, I don't remember spacesavers having OH 'stats fitted as standard, although an optional extra may have been available.

Sponsored Links
Once again thank you mick for your reply-you must think i'm stupid asking these questions,butthis is how i learn!!. right i think we'll go again for a flush-i've got a mate with a powerflush unit but he is always a little hessitant with microbore n old er systems,hence usually do it manually with chemicals.i asked you about heat transfer paste due to the lack of anything on this boiler stat -according to the handbook it controls the live feed to the gas burner,so i got to wondering if the thermostat wasn't working correct was this the reason the boiler lights up and turns off irrespective of the room stat-and twas also why i asked if the HW tank stat could overide the room stat as well-another thread on here suggests taking the tank stat off to see if the boiler keeps running-might try this a little later today just for curiosity....you see when i was first asked to look at this i was told just a couple of cold rads-then i hear the pump sounding like a tank and so it goes on-it becomes apparent that all has not been right for some time-hence why i'm trying to resolve all possible issues for customer.once again thanks for your help.
stu

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back