Boiler overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to a breakdown Tuesday and told "old baxi conventinal boiler overheats after a minute". I went out thinking pump gone but it was spinning it was making a noise but seemed OK,next header tank and found it empty and ball valve broke so I fitted new one and filled system and after venting rads and circs now the 3 port is a old hand type servo warm style valve and I got water hot then opens it to both and the rads were slow so I put ch only on and it was a balancing job but seemed OK but just had a call rads not working on ch only 2 out of 8 working. The flow and return from boiler are half inch two feet after 22mm from boiler. I would like to ask lads do you think it's the pipe size,pump or ?. The lAdy said "what will fix it 100%" I said "a combi,22mm from boiler to first tee and get trv's and l/shields fitted As the valves are old and I am scared when turning them down as they will start leaking unless lucky" that suggestion was turned down so I'm going back tomorrow and I'm not up for balancing them again as if they leak I ll be blamed so ? Shall I run away :) thanks lads

Sponsored Links
The answer to your question is another question:)

Old system must have worked ok, so now there is some fail that is causing an issue.
Why are you recommending a boiler replacement, Surely a simple boiler will not need much to fix:cautious:

I went to a breakdown Tuesday and told "old baxi conventinal boiler overheats after a minute". I went out thinking pump gone but it was spinning it was making a noise but seemed OK,next header tank and found it empty and ball valve broke so I fitted new one and filled system and after venting rads and circs now the 3 port is a old hand type servo warm style valve and I got water hot then opens it to both and the rads were slow so I put ch only on and it was a balancing job but seemed OK but just had a call rads not working on ch only 2 out of 8 working. The flow and return from boiler are half inch two feet after 22mm from boiler. I would like to ask lads do you think it's the pipe size,pump or ?. The lAdy said "what will fix it 100%" I said "a combi,22mm from boiler to first tee and get trv's and l/shields fitted As the valves are old and I am scared when turning them down as they will start leaking unless lucky" that suggestion was turned down so I'm going back tomorrow and I'm not up for balancing them again as if they leak I ll be blamed so ? Shall I run away :) thanks lads
think its best if you run ( for everyone ) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I was joking with her saying she would need a combi and new valves to sort it 100%. TROLL ??????

"scared"???...if lockshield valves do happen to leak then tighten stuffing box...Belmont being a different approach..

Some are just one or sometimes two flimsy "O" rings!

She knew i was taking the ****. I am going tomorrow i think first is balance the system too its absoloute limit and then maybe a by-pass on circs.

I mean these are 1970 old valves were normally its a 2 minute job fixing or replacing them. If you went to a job and the valves were 40 yrs old your not going to be confident turning them to balance them.

Another troll...

Troll or not this needs nipping in the bud as it is a detriment to the trade. If what the OP is stating has any resemblance to truth then I would class him as nothing but a fraudulent chancer and it's tant amount to theft. To be portraying yourself as a time served RGI whilst taking money off of a customer who believes that you have any sense of what you are doing is basically fraud. You then have the audacity to fish for advice from those of us that have spent a hell of a lot of money, time on training equipment. You should be paying them to let you practice on their systems!! Oh and TBH OP, this is one of the most basic systems possible to work on. With the right equipment, training and experience the fault should be diagnosed within the hour. As for being scared of turning a valve!! FFS grow a pair man! If you can't cope with the result of something happening then do you really think this trade is for you?

To those that are DIYers, customers or general public looking for advice on here then realise that this OP is not an advert for our trade. There are many of us on here that offer good, impartial advice. It may not be what you want to here but we aim to be the top of our game and won't cut corners to save you a few quid. You get FREE, quality advice for your situations. Rather than arguing with us as to whether the advice is right for you it's easier to say that it was more than you were expecting to spend or that there was more involved than you thought. We already know this so save us all the hassle and just get it out of the way.

Jon

I agree a stupid simple job i will be honest i think the attitude of alot of fellas on here is terrible. I have spent 22 years working for myself 14 off them for a nationwide insurance firm who ive repaired every boiler and how ive learnt so much by having the chance to do this job. I have paid the money and done the stuff we have to do even though its a joke and just a money racket i mean if you couldnt pass it you shouldnt even think of having a gas cooker in your home. I say dont think your all that are jobs simple and if you are needing bit of help the technical lines are there. I say "a plumber" you say "gas safe reg engineer" nar my brothers a enginner uni got his masters then doctorate so hes dr of engineering were just "boiler fellas"

You have got heating and plumbing engineer YOUR NOT A ENGINEER YOUR A CENTRAL HEATING REPAIR FELLA OR PLUMBER. Ive probably forgot more than you know

were just "boiler fellas"

Speak for yourself not everyone else. I suggest that you look up the OED definition of an engineer.

Just on a side note I see that the punctuation and spacing didn't last too long.

You have got heating and plumbing engineer YOUR NOT A ENGINEER YOUR A CENTRAL HEATING REPAIR FELLA OR PLUMBER. Ive probably forgot more than you know

What makes you think that? Have you any idea of my background? My scope of work? Do you build controls systems? Do you do any form of system design or do you just pull a struggling face because a valve is a bit old and scary and in 22 years of your forgotten experience you can't diagnose a basic system fault on a basic system? Do me a favour "boiler fella" pipe down (pun intended) and keep doing your parts changing insurance jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back