boiler pilot light keeps going out!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am new to this site, I have an old boiler and the pilot light sometimes goes out.
It has gone out twice in the last month. I have managed to reset it and get it lit again.
Is it a case of just getting it serviced or is it time to get a new boiler??
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
What model?
How old?
Any other issues?
How long since last service?
Could be pilot light unit dying which is usually not that expensive.
As a rule of thumb I always say if £100 will give you another year, go for it.

Whats making the pilot light go out. Thermo knackered, Or lack off oxygen. ie carbon monoxide

Could just be the pilot injector blocked, or even worn too large.

Is the pilot blue or yellow?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies,
It is a Thorne apollo boiler and it looks ancient and I am not sure of the age of it as we have only lived in the property for 18 months.
The pilot light is blue with what as I can only describe as the wick part is slightly orange. (god I know all the plumbing terms NOT)
It has not been serviced in this time and I did not want to spend money on a service if it needed replacing anyway.
It has in all fairness only happened twice in this time but this was only one month apart.

first and foremost,a boiler should be serviced for your and your families safety. the engineer can then advise you if you need a new one now( because its dangerous) or to just start saving for a new one.

get .it. serviced. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back