Boiler pressure drop in minutes and other problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just turned on the heater after last winter. Before I turned it on, the hot water is fine. But after I turned it on, the pressure drops quickly to zero (in a few minutes). With the boiler on, when I bleed the radiator yesterday, there is air comes out, and then I wait until the water come out. However, this morning, after I turned the boiler on, I need to bleed the radiator again, and there is also a fair amount of air come out. After lunch time, again, there is a fair amount of air come out from several radiators... Then I turned off the boiler, and when the radiator become cold, I intend to bleed them again, but then, there is no water or air comes out (for all 5 radiators in the house). I checked the radiator, and the boiler, and the pipe outside of the house connecting to the boiler, and I cannot find any leaks, I also cannot find any dark/damp patches on any part of my floor (most of them are covered by carpet). I just don't know what the problem is, and have been driven mad... I am wondering whether anyone could give me some clue or advise... thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
by the way, when I re-pressurized the boiler, after a few seconds, when the pressure goes to about 1-2 bar, the whole system works fine... just after about 10 minutes, the pressure drops to zero.

You are losing water somewhere!
Check the discharge pipe from the boiler by putting a clear plastic bag over it to see if this fills with water when you have pressurised system. If not then leak could be under ground floor. Have you had new carpets/ flooring laid since last rads were used?
I have a suspicion you will not be able to follow this so probably best to call a plumber!

Sponsored Links
You are losing water somewhere!
Check the discharge pipe from the boiler by putting a clear plastic bag over it to see if this fills with water when you have pressurised system. If not then leak could be under ground floor. Have you had new carpets/ flooring laid since last rads were used?
I have a suspicion you will not be able to follow this so probably best to call a plumber!

I think by "discharge pipe", you mean the pipe out of the property where the boiler will discharge the water when the pressure is too high? If that's what you mean, I did check that and it is very dry. I did also lift up the carpet where the pipe is likely to pass under the ground, and find they are dry. (Although the pipe goes through toilet cannot be checked, as it is covered by laminate floor... but they are also very dry on the top). I did asked a plumber to come, he said it might because there is air in the system, as when the radiator is working (with the proper pressure), I need to bleed all the radiator every one or two hours, and every time I do it, there is air comes out... so he is not quite helpful, I will ask another plumber to have a look...

Could be a goosed heat exchanger, not unheard-of on those boilers. When was it last serviced?

Yup +1 ... with that rate of pressure loss, I'd be getting someone in to look inside the boiler ... as muggles suggests it could be internal if there are no other obvious signs of water.

Could be a goosed heat exchanger, not unheard-of on those boilers. When was it last serviced?
I don't know... moved in at the end of last winter, and used it for about 20 days earlier this year, it was fine at that time...

Yup +1 ... with that rate of pressure loss, I'd be getting someone in to look inside the boiler ... as muggles suggests it could be internal if there are no other obvious signs of water.
I will flag this out when another plumber come to have a look... it is really wired, especially the rate of pressure loss... so quick...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back